Anyone use the diastalic power of grain to process unmalted grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I've been reading about the diastalic power of mainly barley, and how with proper heat it can convert the starches in unmalted grains. This has the potential to do two things:

1. Save money by buying unmalted grain.

2. Produce a beer with potentially new flavors.

Anyone dabble in this?

It's how I convert adjuncts like corn and rice. So I am sure using it on unmalted grains would work. Might try this out if it is much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've done wheat beers and rye beers using 35 to 40% malted barley and the wheat or rye unmalted with pretty good success. The rye makes a sticky mess that is hard to deal with even with BIAB at that amount though. My efficiency suffered a bit with the rye too but the wheat worked well. I took the wheat and rye right out of my farm grain bins where the grain was worth about 12 cents per pound.

I use a little unmalted grains in my darker beers,like roasted ones. But I also use enough base malts to convert the whole mess.

Out of town just now but have a wit recipe in the makings and I will be using a 6 row base malt instead of a two row as the recipe is nearly 50% wheat and the 2 row lacks diastatic power. Since I haven't brewed the recipe yet, I can't comment on the success. The research I have done so far suggests this is a good approach however, I have read wit recipes on this forum that used 2 row and adjuncts without any 6 row so I'm not confident that it is an utter necessity. It does stand to reason that the tremendous diastatic power of 6 row would benefit when using adjuncts that have no diastatic power of their own.

Out of town just now but have a wit recipe in the makings and I will be using a 6 row base malt instead of a two row as the recipe is nearly 50% wheat and the 2 row lacks diastatic power. Since I haven't brewed the recipe yet, I can't comment on the success. The research I have done so far suggests this is a good approach however, I have read wit recipes on this forum that used 2 row and adjuncts without any 6 row so I'm not confident that it is an utter necessity. It does stand to reason that the tremendous diastatic power of 6 row would benefit when using adjuncts that have no diastatic power of their own.

The 2-row I have has sufficient diastatic power to convert about 65% unmalted wheat so your 6-row may not be necessary. Check the info on your 2-row and see if it doesn't also have enough.

The 2-row I have has sufficient diastatic power to convert about 65% unmalted wheat so your 6-row may not be necessary. Check the info on your 2-row and see if it doesn't also have enough.

Agreed. I have done 50-50 two row to unmalted grains and gotten proper conversion

Glad you posted this because I get my Warminster Floor Malted Maris Otter from Northern Brewer and their spec sheet for the grain says 0 diastatic power. That is incorrect of course but I assumed it and other 2 row malts were too low in diastatic to aid in converting a large adjunct bill. Now that I know better I can buy that 55 lb sack of floor malted Bohemian Pilsner that I had originally wanted to use. Yippee yahooey!

I used pain hard white winter wheat from a bulk food store in my wheat beer. Covered just fine with 2 row.

How's everyone liking the flavor? I'm wanting to give rye a shot.

Rye is an interesting grain and gives your beer a different flavor. I like the flavor, you may or may not.

Rye is also a difficult grain to work with. When added to the mash it tends to make a sticky mess. When I used the 65% unmalted rye in a recipe, it was difficult to mill with my Corona mill, and even with BIAB I had difficulty getting the wort out. I wouldn't suggest you try that much rye with a conventional mash tun and with almost any amount I think you will want to add rice hulls to aid in forming a filter bed since rye has no husk.

Latest posts

Back