Magic Hat #9

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmadden08

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Magic Hat? its a northeast brewery and i can't get it out west. I'd love to get an extract recipe for their #9 beer. please let me know if anyone has any ideas. thanks

1/2 # Crystal 60L
6# Extra Light DME
1# Wheat DME

2oz Tettnanger 4.8% aa (60 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo 9.8% aa (15 min)

Wyeast American Ale 1056 smack pack (73-77% Attenuation)

-Milled Grain and steeped in 5 gallons water, brought to 160*F and held 30 min.
-Remove grains, bring wort to boil, add DME and 2oz Tettnanger
-Boil 45 minutes
-Add 1 tsp irish moss and 0.5oz Amarillo, boil 15 min
-Transfer to bucket through strainer, transfer to carboy through funnel filter
-let cool to 82*F, pitched yeast

SG: 1.060
FG: 1.014

added ~2oz apricot extract prior to bottling, I would go with apricot puree or if Oregon preserves makes apricot puree, add it to the secondary

0.20 lbs. Crystal Malt 60°L info
0.75 lbs. English Wheat Malt info
6 lbs. Dry Light Extract info
1 oz. Fuggle (Whole, 4.5 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
.5 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.9 %AA) boiled 30 min. info
.25 oz. Cascade (Whole, 6.5 %AA) boiled 1 min. info
3.3 pounds Apricot Puree (not included in calculations)
1 teaspoons Irish Moss (not included in calculations)
1 teaspoons Gellatin (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP002 info

Add apricot puree to secondary fermenter. Allow about 5 days in secondary fermenter. Prime with 3/4 cup priming sugar. Recipe from Brew Your Own Beer, Summer 2001.
Steep grains at 152F for 45 minutes. Can substitute 3oz apricot liquid extract flavoring in secondary in place or puree. I eafed the Fuggle load up to 1oz from BYOB's 2/3 oz to get it within the IBU range for American pale ale.

There's a ton of clone recipes out there - I just saw one last night in one of Papazian's recent books. Basically, a light American ale with Ringwood yeast (or an English ale yeast), a little bit of wheat, and some apricot puree or extract.

EDIT: SEE WHAT I MEAN? ;)
EDIT II: There's also this and this and this .

AWESOME! thanks for the replies, im definetely going to try this out in the next brew or two.

the_bird said:
There's a ton of clone recipes out there - I just saw one last night in one of Papazian's recent books. Basically, a light American ale with Ringwood yeast (or an English ale yeast), a little bit of wheat, and some apricot puree or extract.

EDIT: SEE WHAT I MEAN? ;)
EDIT II: There's also this and this and this .

That was very helpful. Here's your next avatar! :off:

kevin-oconner.jpg

Back