I know it's not ruined but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pitched yeast too warm. Misread thermometer and ended up pitching S05 into my IPA at 85 degrees. I've got the fermenter soaking in an inch of ice water to try and get it down before fermentation starts.

Am I going about this right?

Draped a towel around it and put a fan on low to bring the temp down. Google swamp cooler. The yeast is fine but if it takes off at that temp you're gonna have off flavors

If you can get it below 70F within the first 8-10 hours, particularly prior to kraeusen, you'll be alright. Did you pitch dry or rehydrate?

Brulosopher said:
If you can get it below 70F within the first 8-10 hours, particularly prior to kraeusen, you'll be alright. Did you pitch dry or rehydrate?

Dry. I'm guessing that is in my favor?

Thanks, guys, I was guessing I was fine as long I got the temp down prior to fermentation taking off but wanted to make sure I was correct. Fan and wet towel are now in place.

I try to chill down to around 66F for the average ale yeast. Sometimes lower,like 62-64F if I want it cleaner & the yeasts' temp range can tolerate it.

unionrdr said:
I try to chill down to around 66F for the average ale yeast. Sometimes lower,like 62-64F if I want it cleaner & the yeasts' temp range can tolerate it.

Amen

Yeah, even when I thought it was 75, I was thinking I was in the high side. But with dry yeast and an ambient temp if 65 degrees, I thought I'd be alright. But 85...yikes...

You'll be fine. Leave it and relax, have a... well you know.

RipUSMC said:
You'll be fine. Leave it and relax, have a... well you know.

I wasn't panicking, just wondering how bad my fruitiness would be (although would that really be the worst thing in an IPA?)

Had it happened with my porter, I would have been more worried about an undrinkable beer.

IMO, since you got the temperature down before fermentation really got started, you will have no issues. I don't think that liquid or dry yeast makes any difference. Getting the right temperature before fermentation gets going is the key.

kh54s10 said:
IMO, since you got the temperature down before fermentation really got started, you will have no issues. I don't think that liquid or dry yeast makes any difference. Getting the right temperature before fermentation gets going is the key.

That was my hunch. But I am a noob so just wanted verification.

Seriously, I've pitched at 80's because the heat in the summer here made the ground water too hot to bring anything below that. It was fine. What really matters is consistent temps during fermentation. It'll be beer.

Back