Garlic Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vaccuum pack, freeze, and sell them off to fellow HBT'ers for a reasonable price shipped in dry ice?

can you freeze garlic bulbs?

I always roast a few heads of garlic, then squeeze it out into a food processor at a ratio of 1 head of garlic to 1 stick of salted butter, sometimes a higher ratio of garlic:butter, then run a little olive oil in, and whip it together. It keeps extraordinarily well in the refrigerator, and makes killer garlic butter for french bread, garlic mashed potatoes, on top of pasta, sauce for ravioli, mixed with cream and some parmesan as an alfredo sauce, pretty much anything. And it freezes quite well too.

You can send 20lbs to me...I can have it gone in 2 weeks...I love garlic cornbread for crying out loud...I love it so much that when I cook everyday, even after showering, I can still taste it on my fingers...god it's good

about the garlic oil from earlier posts, I think botulism only grows in anaerobic and non acidic environments. you might not be able to oxygenate your oil but maybe you can acidify it? also if the bad stuff is only on the surface of the garlic a quick dunk into hydrogen peroxide should kill any anaerobic stuff living on it with out leaving any thing nasty on the garlic the way iodine or starsan might. I havent personally made garlic oil yet but I have made tons of basil and chili oil that came out great without any fatal side effects.

Although the risk is minimal, it still does exist when the moisture content is sufficiently high. The trouble with it is you can't get the acid into the oil (at least I am not aware of a way). What I have done though, is given things a soak in an acidic brine for several weeks before putting them in oil. Unfortunately, soaking the garlic is recommended against because it decreases storage life.

You can send 20lbs to me...I can have it gone in 2 weeks...I love garlic cornbread for crying out loud...I love it so much that when I cook everyday, even after showering, I can still taste it on my fingers...god it's good

Sounds like you need to start growing some Rocambole or Porecelain (Clarification, Porcelain is a type of the Continental sub-strain). :D Hardneck Garlic is near impossible to find in stores (I am still not sure why, mine stored up until now from last year's harvest...I just made it in terms of supply!) and the flavor is light years ahead. Plus the cloves are so nice. The Rocambole's and Porecelain's don't have all those itty bitty cloves on the inside, just 4, 5 or up to 7 or 8 huge to large cloves.

http://www.filareefarm.com/

...going back to my first post in this thread, I realized that I was under the impression the Hardneck doesn't store well. I suppose, in hindsight, not storing well means a year or less. I think, after having grown both types (Hardneck and Softneck), some of the commercial garlic from China can be a year old easy.

Oh about the Garlic Oil, something that comes to mind is that I believe you *could* get away with it if you keep it very cold in the fridge. The Botulinin aren't active at cold temps, but you have to keep it religiously cold. Again, like anything mass produced (where there was a problem) the chances go up because you have large volumes of product mixing in together. So what may have been 1 in 1,000,000 became 1 in 1,000 simply because it was all mixed together and nicely distributed. I have known people that canned Green Beans in hot water for years and never died. I certainly wouldn't take the risk :D.

I always roast a few heads of garlic, then squeeze it out into a food processor at a ratio of 1 head of garlic to 1 stick of salted butter, sometimes a higher ratio of garlic:butter, then run a little olive oil in, and whip it together. It keeps extraordinarily well in the refrigerator, and makes killer garlic butter for french bread, garlic mashed potatoes, on top of pasta, sauce for ravioli, mixed with cream and some parmesan as an alfredo sauce, pretty much anything. And it freezes quite well too.

I may do something like this. Although, I don't have the mad rush to 'do something' with my garlic anymore, having realized it does indeed store A-ok. :D.
Nonetheless, keep the ideas coming folks. I expanded my crop this year :fro:

I roast about 2 lbs of peeled garlic cloves covered with olive oil, mash em real fine with 3 tablespoons of onion powder, 2 table spoons of each oregano and basil (fresh) a tablespoon of fresh dill finely chopped and 2 tablespoons of butter.
Take this paste and mash it into 4 lbs of butter thats been sitting at room temperature to soften. Mix it real well, cool it down in the fridge and portion evenly into 10 pieces, plastic wrap them, and put them in the freezer. This butter goes great on everything. I mainly use it for steaming veggies and cooking rice, but i've put it on steak, chicken, baked potatos, pasta, the list goes on and on.

Lower part of the garden in Spring . My beds are ~ 12'x 3' to give you an idea of size. You can see the Garlic row just below the Asparagus bed. The trailer did come with the house :D
misc150.JPG

Romanian Red:

misc321.JPG

This is a medium large specimen that will yield ~4/4.5 oz cleaned. They get bigger!

Roast it with olive oil, then spread on baguettes with kosher salt. Hmmm.

An alternative would be to send it to me. :D

That's some incredible garlic!

And thanks for the link!!!:rockin:

Edit: I ordered some seed garlic today! i can't wait!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. %100 PA Organically grown :D. Who says Organic doesn't give great results :)?

What a haul. Very nice. I bet it smells wonderful

I've only put about 20 in.
I don't like to pull them until Mid Autumn but the rust is getting to them.
They get a little larger than this but I'm happy with this one.

My hand is next to the pint pot. It's not a trick or PS.

dsc00001pt7.jpg

My favorite application of multiple cloves of garlic is chicken and 40 cloves. Very tasty dish, easy to make, great leftover and it uses a lot of garlic.

Ingredients
1 whole chicken (fryer, you don't want it too big)
40 cloves of garlic
10 sprigs of fresh thyme
salt and pepper
1/2 cup + 2-4 tablespoons olive oil

If you have a big enough pan you could cut up the whole chicken and use the whole thing but I can only fit the two breasts and the leg/thigh quarters in my pan so I boil down the wings and back for stock.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
In an oven safe, high sided pan that has a lid pour in enough olive oil to give a thin layer across the bottom when you swirl, usually 2-4 tablespoons.
Place the pan over med-high heat and allow it to warm up a couple minutes.
Once the pan is ready, add all the chicken skin side down and cook until brown. Flip and cook for another couple minutes to brown the other side then kill the heat.
Thrown in the garlic, making sure none of it is resting on top of the chicken, top the chicken with the thyme and pour in the 1/2 cup of olive oil.
Cover and place in your oven for 1 and 1/2 hours.

Allow to rest 5-10 minutes before serving. The chicken falls off the bone and the cloves of garlic spread like butter over some warmed french bread.

Whenever we make this we usually have leftover cloves, it's just the wife and I, so I'll mash them into a paste and then mix them with some warmed butter and refrigerate. Great for garlic bread.

This is one of my favorite recipes!

Yeah they can get huge :D. The whole barn smells like Garlic. After hanging it all I started to worry about the ropes handling the weight but they seem to be alright. I have to harvest my Shallots now too, and probably in a week or so the Sweet Onions (Walla-Walla's) will be ready.

What a haul. Very nice. I bet it smells wonderful

I've only put about 20 in.
I don't like to pull them until Mid Autumn but the rust is getting to them.
They get a little larger than this but I'm happy with this one.

My hand is next to the pint pot. It's not a trick or PS.

dsc00001pt7.jpg

Yeah a lot of people are shocked at some of the homegrown stuff eh? What variety is that?

I've made garlic wine... Well garlic and chillie wine...

I think it was a mix of two recipies form the Jack Keller site as mentioned previously.

Not too sure, I think it was along the lines of 6bulbs of garlic, peeled, wrapped in foil and baked as directed (350F 2hr), simmered in ~4cups of water for 45min, added ~2cups honey, nutrient and tannin, fermented with (my addition) 5 split chillie peppers...

It's now in secondry, smells great, is in no way clear, and I plan on using it as a marinade or at least the base of a marinade next summer...

If you want I can try look up more detail of what I did...

This was for 1 gallon. I think making 5 gallons wouldn't be a waste if you have that much garlic... Think about it... If you made 5-10 gallons bottled it and threw them into the attic or something how good woud it be to marinade a chicken in 5-10 year old garlic wine...

Back