CHEAP GOOD BOTTLES - Arizona Tea Bottles 20 oz new amber PET

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muph

Reaction score
Just wanted to spread some info, I was at Walgreens and they are selling 20 oz PET plastic bottles of tea with "new amber bottles to protect the natural antioxidant properties of our beverages from light" screw on caps.. $1 each. Anyone looking for ideas for cheap bottles here it is.

Are they rated to hold pressure? I would be concerned about putting carbonated beverages in an uncertified container.

:confused: I've never heard of the term "uncertified container" does anyone have any links to info on this? I did a google search and found nothing. They seem to be at least 4 times thicker than a regular 2 liter bottle, same with the screw on cap. #1 plastic resin code which is used for most beverages. I'm positive if I were to fill it with soda and shake it that it would hold, hopefully someone that has seen them before can comment on this, I really don't know much about the subject. I'm extremely confident they will hold, I'll be sure to post either way. I appreciate the tip beerman!

I've been buying those arizona bottles for a few years now. They don't seem like they would handle pressure well.

I've been buying those arizona bottles for a few years now. They don't seem like they would handle pressure well.

Lame :(.. Do you mean the cap? Hearing it from 2 people makes me kinda uneasy, just seems like an odd response since the bottles are so dense.. I'll do a test with just one first. Would really hate to waist a full batch. Gonna be a while but I'll post what happens. Thanks for the info Reno_eNVy

I used one of these a few times and didn't have any leaking. Actually, the one time I overprimed, the one sort of pushed out the bottom a little so it wasn't quite flat. Even then it didn't leak out the cap or anywhere else.

I used one of these a few times and didn't have any leaking. Actually, the one time I overprimed, the one sort of pushed out the bottom a little so it wasn't quite flat. Even then it didn't leak out the cap or anywhere else.

It'll hold...

Dude, you guys are live savers! Have about 15 of these saved up and was like :eek: when I seen those 2 posts.

muph said:
Dude, you guys are live savers! Have about 15 of these saved up and was like :eek: when I seen those 2 posts.

Only thing is... at $1 per bottle, a case of actual glass beer bottles is only a dollar or so more... either way, cheers!

Only thing is... at $1 per bottle, a case of actual glass beer bottles is only a dollar or so more... either way, cheers!

keep an eye out, every couple of weeks they go on sale for 50 cents. they are usually with a coupon in the ad. and in the off chance (if your local walgreens district is the same as mine) we do in store specials, and sometimes the arizona goes for 29 cents a bottle.

:confused: I've never heard of the term "uncertified container" does anyone have any links to info on this? I did a google search and found nothing. They seem to be at least 4 times thicker than a regular 2 liter bottle, same with the screw on cap. #1 plastic resin code which is used for most beverages. I'm positive if I were to fill it with soda and shake it that it would hold, hopefully someone that has seen them before can comment on this, I really don't know much about the subject. I'm extremely confident they will hold, I'll be sure to post either way. I appreciate the tip beerman!

Usually if the beverage is not carbonated to begin with, then the bottle probably isn't rated to hold pressure. I know there is a certain thickness of material to be rated to hold CO2. I have seen the Arizona tea bottles and I personally would never use them for any kind of long-term storage.

All containers reach a shelf life and are not good after that. Even glass becomes stressed after use during storage and filling.

This all being said, I don't bottle beer much anyway. There may be people here that have used the Arizona Tea bottles with success. They do seem awfully inadequate. I mean the top is not really sealed and that is where I would expect to see failure especially if the beer has a lot of carbonation. If I bottled beer, I would get the best thing I could come across.

Mumbly said:
keep an eye out, every couple of weeks they go on sale for 50 cents. they are usually with a coupon in the ad. and in the off chance (if your local walgreens district is the same as mine) we do in store specials, and sometimes the arizona goes for 29 cents a bottle.

Thanks, but I don't bottle. When I do, I use glass... very rare :)

Nice! :rockin:

Thanks, but I don't bottle. When I do, I use glass... very rare :)

Exploding plastic bottles are messy. Exploding glass bottles are dangerous...

Just an update for anyone following this... The bottles work great, the pressure will push the bottom out a bit like the previous guy was saying. Bottles still stand up fine too, even with bulge on bottom since it is still flat on the very bottom.

Back