Irish/Coffee Stout Split Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHopHop

Reaction score
So I'm interested in making an Irish Stout batch and then splitting it and racking half of it on to some coffee after primary fermentation is done (I mainly want to get two kinds of beer out of one). Here are the details:

Irish Stout Recipe from Midwest Supplies
Dark LME - 6lbs
Chocolate Malt - 4oz
C-10L - 4oz
Roasted Barley - 4oz
Flaked Barley - 4oz
Nugget - .5oz (60 min)
Willamette 1oz (2 min)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast

After primary fermentation for 1-2 weeks I'll split half of it onto the coffee.

Here's where I'm not sure what exactly to do. I've read about people racking straight on to coffee grounds and others onto coffee/espresso. Anyone have any recommendations for this method? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the recipe I'm open to ideas.

I have racked beer onto a strong french press or espresso before (actually just poured the coffee into the primary), but I have also heard of people using coffee grounds. If you add coffee grounds be careful as to how strong you make it! Also make sure you like the coffee you use (ie stay away from folgers etc). As for my personal taste, it seems like that is not much specialty malts in the recipe, but I have never used extract so maybe the Dark LME adds some flavors....

Thanks RitsiGators. I haven't actually used Dark LME before so I'm not sure exactly what to expect. I originally purchased it with a stout in mind but after doing much more research I learned that most extract brewers used lighter extract as it doesn't impart as much flavor as the Dark does so we'll see how this goes. I think I'll end up brewing this batch this evening going forward with the recipe I currently have, maybe I'll throw in some C-60L since I have some lying around :).

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know!

Back