Born On

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonSanford

Reaction score
Last summer budweiser reps came to a local bar near my house and "promoted" their beer by offering day old beer. How do they offer beer that was bottled yesterday when homebrews take at least to weeks to age/carbonate?

homebrewer_99 said:
Yeah, the stuff that gives you hangovers....his grandfather would be ashamed to sell any beer that tasted that bad. :mad:

I believe the stuff that gives you hangovers is called alcohol. And besides, Bud doesn't taste bad, it just doesn't taste.....period. At any rate, I'm still awed that they can make a beer that light (albeit lifeless) and free of flaws and make it taste exactly the same year after year.

Yep gotta agree its the alcohol, I can't remember the last time I woke up with a hangover after a night of binge drinking Grape Soda.

tnlandsailor said:
I believe the stuff that gives you hangovers is called alcohol.
I think there's more to it than that. I can get 2 different sort of hangovers. A headachy one, and a full body one, where I have a headache but my stomach is in ribbons, and it feels like I've been run over by a herd of stampeding elephants. With this sort of one, I'm a gonner for the day.
It invariably seems to be that when I drink (a lot of) commercial beers (yes, even my beloved Guinness!) I get the full body hangover. When I drink homebrew/microbrew I get a headachy hangover, which is quite easy to recover from.
I believe that the chemicals in the commercial beer which are not present in the home/micro brew make the difference. But the alcohol does indeed give you a headache!

I believe that the chemicals in the commercial beer which are not present in the home/micro brew make the difference. But the alcohol does indeed give you a headache!

I agree the chemicals are to blame as much if not more than the Alcohol, along with bad hygiene in some pubs.

I have had a bad "Hangover" after 3 pints due to this.

orfy said:
I agree the chemicals are to blame as much if not more than the Alcohol, along with bad hygiene in some pubs.

I have had a bad "Hangover" after 3 pints due to this.

Well I gather from this that you must be a fairly small fellow. I lived in Hitchin, Herts. for 5 years and my normal Sunday routien after clay shooting standard was 5 to 6 pints and I never had a hangover from that. You've just got to love pub clay shooting teams. :cross:

I suppose that the beer may have changed but I surely hope not. BTW, back then (1980's) I was right around 210 lbs.

Sorry Scot I think you missed the point.
I'm 200 and am partial to a pint or 8.

What I mean is

8 pints of good clean beer = no hangover
3 pints of bad chemicaly beer = bad hangover.

No excuse needed for a paint or son in the pubs. Plenty to choose from.
Or even better a couple of pint of my mates home brew after bagging a few pheasant.

orfy said:
Or even better a couple of pint of my mates home brew after bagging a few peasants.
Isn't that sort of thing what lost you guys your empire in the first place? ;)

In Papazian's book, "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing"(I think) he explains why home brew is less hangover causing than commercial beers. he says that it is the B complex vitamins in yeast that help stave off a hang over. the body uses B complex vitamins to process alcohol and commercial beers that are filtered don't have the yeast. dehydration also plays a part in hangovers. isnt it ironic that the producer of alcohol tjhat causes the hangover (yeast) is also the organism that lessens the severity of it.

Probably, I don't think the empire was ever ours in the first place though.
Any way I don't think politics and beer go togther and I ain't giving up the beer. :D

all empires eventually collapse. America is in the early-to-middle stages of it's collapse right now. China is on the rise.

I'm considering moving to Canada.

-walker

Back