can a keg get ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZamaMan

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just was given two old kegs that have been sitting outside for who knows how many years. They are in okay shape on the outside. They still have some beer which I know prob smell bad now. They still seem to have pressure. Can aluminum absorb these smells and be ruined? =\
Also there sanke kegs so I have nno clue how to clean them. One i wanted to make a keegle out off.

You should be fine. Open them up and hit them with oxyclean for a couple days and see what they look like. I have no experience with this but that's my guess.

You should be fine. Open them up and hit them with oxyclean for a couple days and see what they look like. I have no experience with this but that's my guess.

Unless you want to take a bath in stale beer, dont push the ball down with it upright, lay the keg on its side first, there are youtube videos on how to dismantle a keg, give a few a watch and procede from there.

Unless you want to take a bath in stale beer, dont push the ball down with it upright, lay the keg on its side first, there are youtube videos on how to dismantle a keg, give a few a watch and procede from there.

I can't effing believe I took a beer shower in eight gallons of 5 year old Icehouse beer when I dismantled my first keg.

When I realized that I could have just laid it down, I felt like a freaking moron.

Back