Time to play Name. That. Brewery!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlakota

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently debuted my home brew at my college graduation party to friends and family. In addition to the jokes on what I really spent 4 years learning, questions about the name for my brewing operation were brought up. I haven't really thought about a name yet, but it would be nice to have something for labels.

About me:

-Graduated with degree in Education
-I want to teach History
-Went to school in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (which I feel in love with), now living in the Chicago suburbs
-Huge hockey fan

I'd like the name have something to do with history (sets up a nice brew name theme I think), but I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Matt

I'd name it after one of my heros, Earnest Shackleton, of Endeavor fame. Google search. Greatest survival story in the history of mankind. Maybe I'd use Yelcho, the name of the loaned chilean tug that Earnest finally used to get back to save ALL of his men. Or Endeavor Brewing, the name of the ship that was iced in and sank to start the story. (see the Alfred Lansing book). I like this game.

shackleton_03.jpg

How about Excelsior Brewing?

Named after Project Excelsior, that was the balloon flight that took Joseph Kittinger to the edge of space. From a height of 102,800 feet he jumped from that balloon and was in freefall for over 4 minutes, accelerating to a speed of 614mph before pulling the chutes.

Kittinger still holds the record for the highest balloon flight, the longest freefall, and the fastest speed attained by a human being through the atmosphere.

Keweenaw was the brewery that got me away from BMC, so it holds a special place in my heart. Good beer, but it's not available in Illinois:(

I'd name it after one of my heros, Earnest Shackleton, of Endeavor fame. Google search. Greatest survival story in the history of mankind. Maybe I'd use Yelcho, the name of the loaned chilean tug that Earnest finally used to get back to save ALL of his men. Or Endeavor Brewing, the name of the ship that was iced in and sank to start the story. (see the Alfred Lansing book). I like this game.

I like this. But wasn't it Ernest and Endurance? :mug:

Did you got to MTU or NMU?

I just graduated from MTU this past semester. I'm also stuck between 2 names but I am leaning more towards one then the other.

Do you have any cool theme names for your beer? That can help with the name.

If you want to go with a history theme since so many ships have sank in lake Superior you could go with something on the front like

Sunken Sailor Brewery
Shipwrecked Brewing Company
etc

Fitz brewing,after the Edmond Fitzgerald that sank in Lake Superior. Maybe a pic of one of the paintings of the Fitz on the label? That thing was huge when we used to see it at the old Lorain Port Authority.
Or Chitown brewery
Black Bear Brewery,for the black bears of the upper peninsula?

I went to NMU.

No names yet, but I'd like to theme the beer names around historical events or something related to the styles' history. Haven't quite decided yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to go with Heritage Brewing Company. I came up with these logos and am looking for feedback.

Be gentle, I'm not an artist.

heritage brewing.jpg

heritage brewing 2.jpg

heritage 3.jpg

heritage 4.jpg

Back