Partial Mash to Extract + Specialty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I am trying to convert a partial mash recipe into an extract plus specialty grains recipe. I have read a couple posts and thought I would run it by my beer superiors here to see if looked ok, suggestions are welcomed/needed.

Here is the partial mash:
8 oz. US Crystal 40L
1 oz. US chocolate malt
2.25 lb American 2-Row malt
4 lb pale liquid malt extract
4 oz. Munich malt

My extract proposal:
steep:
1 oz. US chocolate malt
8 oz. US Crystal 40L
extract:
2 lb Munich LME
4 lb pale LME

Rest of the ingredients:
1/3 oz. Chinook Hops
1/4 oz. Perle Hops
1/4 oz. Crystal Hops
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1.25 cups of ultra light dry malt extract
Wyeast 2308

EDIT: My choice of extracts is based on the descriptions from AHS, where I plan to buy.

Actually, you could just go with 6 lb pale LME, ditch the 2-row and steep the C40L, chocolate and Munich. Substituting 2 lb. Munich LME for 4 oz. of Munich and 2.25 lbs. 2-row will mean a much maltier brew.

Sounds good either way.

Thanks for you help.

I am trying to clone Abita Amber, I am not sure if you have had it. It is a fairly malty brew, but I am new at this so...

Also, AHS's Munich LME is "20% Munich malt and 80% 2-row malt" I am not sure if this is standard for all Munich LME.

After thinking about it, I am going to go with the partial and just use the recipe above.

My first partial mash and lager in one brew...wish me luck.

Beerrific said:
After thinking about it, I am going to go with the partial and just use the recipe above.

My first partial mash and lager in one brew...wish me luck.

Good luck! If you need any help, you know where to come.........

But you know what to do!

Back