How to make an outlet from range plug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
I have been wondering if I can make a box that plugs into my 240v range out let that will have an extension cord for my brewing panel? Like a power bar I guess.

Gerald

Sure. Just get a male plug and female connector. You can make an extension cord whatever length you need. The cable and ends can get a bit pricey though.

*edit* sorry if I misunderstood. I am not sure what you mean by power bar.

Are you looking to split the 240V to 120V? If so this can be done if you have a 3+G cable run to the outlet, or a 4 prong range outlet.

What voltage does your control panel need? Give us some specifics and we can try to help out.

I was looking to make the toolbox control panel. I want to make a box that I can plug into the wall, plug the range into that and have a cord run from the box to the control panel.

I want to use the 240v for brewing without having to unplug the range.

Just buy 1 male plug, 2 female plugs and some x gauge wire. X= gauge of wire you need to safely use the outlet based on amps being drawn & length of cord.

Make your own splitter. As long as you don't use both at the same time the outlet in the wall won't care if split the physical connection after the socket

Honestly, I think that if you're asking this questions, you should be hiring someone.

Personally, I would just pop a hole in the wall below the range plug, install a second range-plug box as a brew plug and run the wires in parallel from the range plug to the brew plug (inside the wall, of course).

Be careful of your total power requirements, you may overrun the breaker if you've got the oven and stove on and you're trying to run brew equipment.

Alternatively, clip another breaker into your breaker box and run a fresh wire to your brew room and install a plug.

I can create a splitter in basic circuits, Just wondering if it's the same thing. I wouldn't be using oven and brew at the same time.

It's the same thing, but you'll want to absolutely ensure that you don't use the range at the same time. Using a plug and unplugging the stove is really the best way.

You will be fine, just be sure not to use both at the same time. If you do, you'll just trip the breaker and have to reset it. You'll also want to look at adding GFCI somewhere in there as well. Since your breaker is not already GFCI, you'll want it either in the cord coming to the brew controller (you can buy these pre-made) or a separate breaker in the box.
Easiest way is to just unplug the range each time, but I see how that can be a PITA if you brew often.

I would but pulling the stove out every time I want to brew is pretty much impractical. I would add another plug under the one that's there but the in-laws would kill me :)

If that's the case then it is really just extending 4 wires to your toolbox control panel. Use the appropriate size wire (8AWG I believe) for your 40A breaker and you're golden!

I would get a range cord, terminate it in a junction box and tap two range receptacles off of that. Then hope you can still push the range against the wall.

Now that's the ticket! Great idea! Then you keep everything modular and can reuse your setup.

If you're using a dryer outlet GFCI Cord you can just make the second receptacle a 4 prong Dryer receptacle, if everything is rated properly.

Perfect, build next week and see if I can get some heating elements from mother in law's work. They manufacture them. 4500w should be good enough in hlt and bk right. in plastic buckets until I go stainless.

You may be getting into a large junction box to fit flush mount receptacles. You could nipple together three 4in square boxes or use 1 4 square for connections and nipple on two surface mount receptacles.

I'll be garbbing the biggest box I can find. If the stove stick out a few inches I don't think the wife will mind.

4500w should be good enough in hlt and bk right. in plastic buckets until I go stainless.

4500W should be fine for 5-15gal batches, just understand that the larger you go the more time it takes to heat the water/wort.

Now the plastic bucket thing for a BK I wouldn't advise. Not too sure what you might be leeching in to the wort at boiling temps...

sorry the buckets are the ones you get from wine making shops, like ale pails. I'll be getting a ss pot at some point this year.

I know I've seen some people who boil in buckets with heat sticks, and I'm sure there's a setup you can buy that's plastic. It's just so I can do more than 2.5gal ag batches Until I go SS.

I've seen it too, but not in an "Ale Pail". I don't think that the plastic is thick enough to withstand a 60min boil, nor do I want to think about what might be getting leeched in to the wort at those temps.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but I'd go out and get a pot and use that on the stove before making the control panel or the gang box/extension cord thingie.

I'd have to order a pot online and pay huge shipping charges because I can't find any pots locally, I've tried. I won't be going to Toronto until later this summer so I'm stuck until then.

Yeah boiling in plastic with all the unknowns of PBA scares the crap out of me. I would keep up your small batches, or go grab a cheap aluminum turkey fryer pot to use.

Not to mention the stability of the plastic buckets. I used to transfer strike water (~165F) in buckets to my kettle, they fell out of round due to how malleable they became with only 165F for a couple minutes. Be careful...

I'd say... road trip!

Back