No foam when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nspaldi0

Reaction score
The last two batches that I've bottled did not foam when I bottled. Therefore, I didn't cap on top of foam. I switched from using a bottling bucket with spigot and bottling wand to using my auto siphon and bottling wand. The first batch was great for two months and is now highly oxidized. I can't make myself drink it. The last batch is still carbing. I was trying to figure out what might be the cause and I thought of the nom foam issue. Anyone else have thoughts? Do you have to cap on top of foam?

What foam are you talking about? The only foam I experience when bottling is the residule StarSan foam that may be in the bottles. That gets pushed out from the beer filling the bottle.

+1 bottling should be gentle enough that you aren't producing much foam, or else you're probably oxidizing your beer. I get a little big of bubbles, but not enough that I'd call it "foam". No producing a head in the bottle or anything.

Thanks. I guess I need to review my sanitation process. I was just trying to figure out why the last batch was so bad! It was a Belgian dubbel and was terrible. My first batch that I couldn't stomach.

Back