Storing yeast - plastic coke bottles vs. beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I have some german ale yeast sitting in a plastic coke bottle along with the wort which I collected from a purposely oversized starter. Is there any incentive for me to put it in a beer bottle and cap it to help preserve it? It's about 1 week old, and I think there's about 150 billion yeast cells in it.

I know its kind of a dumb question, probably, but with the coming of the hot weather (I live in GA and it's already getting into the 80s) and the lack of a LHBS (I have a hard time getting this kind of liquid yeast shipped to me) I want to keep my liquid sourced yeast alive for as long as possible.

I dont think it really matters that much. You shouldnt really need to worry about oxidation since you arent going to really drink that starter.

Keep it in the coke bottle I say. Throw it in the fridge if you wanna keep it for a while.

Back