3rd attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
Good day and happy new years!

I just bottled a batch of cider and sampled a glass while doing so. Normally I would use a champagne yeast and would get a fairly dry cider so this time I decided to try a lager yeast. This left me with a very sweet tasting cider. A little too sweet for my liking.

I have a question. will this flavor mellow out with time? it's been fermenting/bubbling for a month "and was still bubbling slowly". or, should I empty my bottles back into the fermentor and introduce another pack of yeast to dry it up a bit more?

Thank you!

What type of lager yeast did you use exactly? I've used several lager yeasts and they have always fermented fairly close to dry. My guess is that this one uses more nitrogen than usual and the fermentation may be stuck, in which case you can feed it small amount of nutrient until the sweetness level is to your liking.

What type of lager yeast did you use exactly? I've used several lager yeasts and they have always fermented fairly close to dry. My guess is that this one uses more nitrogen than usual and the fermentation may be stuck, in which case you can feed it small amount of nutrient until the sweetness level is to your liking.

I used a packet of dry Morgan's lager yeast. I was expecting it to ferment aggressively at first but it was rather calm.

I'm also a little worried about getting bottle bombs since it was bottled prior to completion of fermentation

I havent tried Morgan's lager yeast yet. I've tried their ale yeast and it fermented very fast.

If its too sweet for you, the only way its going to get any less sweet is by continuing to ferment in the bottle, which is not what you want. Pouring the bottles back into the carboy sounds like a PIA, but might be the only safe way to deal with it, other than pasteurizing, which would keep the sweetness. OTOH, while the cider might be too sweet for you, I find that most people like it on the sweet side, so you could always just take them to a party tonight and then start over with a fresh batch. Compared to your time, juice is fairly cheap and your friends will appreciate it.

Back