3rd year harvest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My 3rd year hops did very well. I got about 6 lbs wet or so from 3 Cascade plants. I think they could have been better if the 3 plants didn't all grow up in a tangled mess at the top. I will have to separate them next year so they don't shade each other to much.

Now they are drying on window screens laid across the top of my utility trailer in the garage with a box fan blowing into the back of the trailer.

So what should I get for weight of dry hops? Like something under 2 lbs?

That's a nice harvest. I have the same tangled mess at the top. I can get up there with my bucket truck and might see if I can borrow a hedge trimmer to cut along the cable? Picking thursday...a little late...lots of browing but they smell great and some huge cones!

IIRC, last year we had about a 1:4 dry to wet weight.

I went and picked some fresh Chinook and Cascades yesterday and was told I would lose roughly 40% of the weight once they dry

My cascades made BY FAR the biggest top "plume" of all my varieties. I got 3 lbs wet off one 3rd year plant that I limited at about 13.5 ft. It would have easily gone 20 ft if I would have had the setup for it (all mine this year would have, what a great growing season)...

I went and picked some fresh Chinook and Cascades yesterday and was told I would lose roughly 40% of the weight once they dry

If picked at the right time the weight difference should be between 5:1 or 6:1 wet weight to dry. That is roughly 16-20% of original wet weight.

Good timing Homer I took my three cascades down tonight with a similar harvest. Six lbs. wet should be around a lb. dry, give or take. My plants were severely neglected this year as I left them at the old house with only a visit or two a week. I listened to the Whitecaps for an hour and a half while I picked on the ladder.

Agreed on great season Randar. We needed water here after early July which I wasn't around to provide. Cones were on the whole smaller and not quite as aromatic. I feel like a deadbeat father. Should be remedied next year when I go full power pole trellis and real soil. Now to find the poles...............

Yeah, not a bad harvest I'd say. The only problem I had was that the large clump on top shaded some and I had a lot of smaller cones up there on the inside.

I watered mine pretty much every other day with a soaker hose for like 45 minutes, unless it rained.

1 + something pounds is pretty good for me. I still have some of last years, so I think I'll be ok. It's more for the fun of growing than anything. Although I did mention to the wife that I am thinking about planting some other variety under the telephone pole by the shed. Lots of sun, and the only thing on the pole now is the cable TV, which we don't use anyway. Plenty of height! But it will take a few years to get production. And I hear some other varieties don't grow as well as Cascade. I'd like to try some Saaz, or EKG maybe. I have plenty of yard, so I *could* set up a few plants here and there.

My cascades hops are now dry, and I'll be packaging them today. I didn't weigh them wet, but there were 2 1/2 five gallon buckets that we picked.

We had a great year for hops- lots of sun and lots of rain. I'm not even bothering to pick my hallertauer hops- there are tons of them but I never use them and picking them is a lot of work!

My first year chinooks did very well, and Bob is picking the cones today. I'll probably end up with an ounce or two of chinooks.

I'm not even bothering to pick my hallertauer hops- there are tons of them but I never use them and picking them is a lot of work! .

Maybe post to a local brewers club and see if they will come out and pick a bunch - hate to see something go to waste ...I definitely would if I lived anywhere close to you! :)

+1 Yoop if you were my neighbor I'd definately come clean out your Hallertau. Mine don't do so well here. I had high hopes with all the wheats I like to make but they just don't seem to want to grow. Maybe next year when I move them to the new house.

Just to advise Homer, I've had good luck with Zues and Sterling. Newport looks promising for clean bittering. Centennial and Mt. Hood should do well but my conditions have not been the best at our old house so they've lagged.

Yoop if I lived near you I'd go pick them! I haven't had hallertau in a while, and I do like it in some beers as a change from the American Hops that normally dominate my beers. I understand they will not taste exactly the same as the hops they use from Germany.

I just can't believe you'd let all of those hops die on the vine! I bet one or two of those guys near you would love to get some use out of them if you asked...

In my second year of hops with three rhysomes. I had a very VERY large crop and I probably will get a second crop because we have a long summer and it won't freeze here until the end of December. I also didn't really take care of the plants because I thought I was leaving the country but ended up staying. I think I should get 3-5 lbs from my meager garden.

.... I'd like to try some Saaz, or EKG maybe. I have plenty of yard, so I *could* set up a few plants here and there.

I'd suggest the EKG.

My first year Goldings plant in a pot reached about 16' this summer down here in Eaton Rapids. It only produced a couple of cones, while my 20' Cascade produced 2 oz dry. My Columbus plant only reached about 10'-12' but is loaded with nice fat cones shown below that are almost ready for harvest.

0820001726.jpg

Back