Thinking about dry hopping. Input appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
I am currently boiling an IPA recipe. This is my 5th batch and I like to experiment with kits. I am using a IPA kit from northern brewer.

here is the recipe.

1lb dingemans caramel pils specialty grain

6 lb gold lme

3 oz total of cascade hops. 2 oz added at the beginning of the boil and 1 oz added last minute of boil.

This is my first traditional IPA. The hops are 7.8% alpha .
I like a really hoppy beer... comparable to that of a dogfish brew or rock bottoms desert trail pale ale. If anyone has ever heard of Oggi's pizza brewery here in phoenix, they have a delicious IPA they brew for their restaurants.

Anyway, judging on the recipe, is this gonna be a dogfish type of bite? Or more like sierra nevada?

I have a couple diffrerent secondaries.... 6.5 gallon pail OR a 5 gallon carboy.
What do you guys think? Should I leave it as is or dry hop it? Also, if I dry hop it... how much hops and how long does it sit after 2 weeks in primary?

Thanks!!

Dry hop at least 2 ounces if you like it really hoppy like dogfish. If you have the equipment, split it into two fermenters and hop each differently, by amount or type. If you split a five gallon batch, I would use one ounce in one, and half ounce in the other to become familiar with hopping rates. Once your brew reaches its final gravity, transfer to secondary and dry hop for at least 5 days, then keg, bottle, or let sit to clear.

Should I use cascade hops? Or something different? I forgot to mention the 3 oz of hops that come in the kit are hop pellets.

Personally, I would dry hop that beer with 2 ounces of Amarillo or Centennial to contrast the Cascade. I also prefer the aroma of Amarillo to Cascade.

You still have time to get a couple ounces of hops. You will probably need to wait 7-10 days before dry hopping.

Eric

Latest posts

Back