Bottle Shapes for Competition Entries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Everyone probably knows that most AHA sanctioned brew comps do not permit the use of Sam Adams bottles or any embossed, distinguishable bottles. That leaves mostly long-necks of only a slightly different height. What about the stubbies like Sierra Nevada Celebration? I'm sure there are a few others that use that style of bottle, but would you think it would pass at comps?

Probably. The rules I've read talk about not using distinctive bottles- and some of those "stubbies" are distinctive.

Some of the competitions rules are changing to allow embossed bottles, though. I'd suggest reading the rules carefully before submitting. Some competitions only say "green or brown crown capped bottles 10-12 ounces" or something like that.

Don't know about other competitions, but the ones I've worked have had a few stubbies.

I use almost exclusively Sierra Nevada bottles for all competition entries and have never had an issue. And as Yoop stated more and more comps are allowing embossed bottles.

Thanks. I just happen to be short on bottles just when I need them the most.

Keystone Hops War of the Worts:

Bottles may be brown or green glass, and must be free of any labels, raised glass designs, etched logos, or other identifying marks.

Sounds like stubby is OK. I'm giving away all my sam bottles just to keep from making a DQ error.

Back