Fermenter for 2.5G batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfkriege

Reaction score
I am going to start playing with 2.5 gallon batches and am selecting fermenters. I was originally going to go with the 3 gallon better bottles and still might because they are a good product. I was thinking tonight, though, and for a 2.5 gallon batch, a corny keg is about the same dimensions (if you are in the camp that says fermenter dimensions change the beer).

So, what are peoples thoughts or experience? The better bottles would be nice because I can see what is going on, but the corny kegs can multitask a little better and are stainless steel. I can fit better bottles in my freezer easier, but I can rig up a low profile airlock for the corny if I need to. For people who have fermented in corny kegs, how do you typically get the beer out without bringing yeast with it?

As for price, they are just about the same for me.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Joshua

If you're not concerned with a secondary, why not just ferment in 5-6 gal carboys, better bottles, etc? The extra headspace will make ale yeasts happier than being crammed up into the neck of a carboy and if you leave it there until you transfer to bottle or keg, the blanket of CO2 will protect the beer.

*edit - although I don't do it personally, I believe some people cut 1/2" - 1" off their pick up tube inside the keg.

I would have no real problem with that. At this point though, I would have to buy those as well. Right now I only have a few buckets, and one just got the axe due to infection risk. I think the buckets are fine, but they are starting to irritate me.

I dont do a secondary for ales, but I will by playing around with lagers in this batch size. I could lager in either the 3 gallon better bottles or a corny. My freezer is not large enough to fit a 5 gallon carboy.

I have thoought about the WinPak Drums before. I have mainly thought about them for larger batches though. They could certainly work.

Go with the cornies! They're about the same price as a better bottle and have several uses.....plus they're indestructible. Since you'll be doing smaller batches, you'll eliminate the only real problem that comes with a corny....lack of headspace. Search the board for "spunding valve" and you'll see that you can do your primary and carbonate at the same time, then transfer under pressure to your serving vessel!

If I was going to do something like Spunding, would you recommend cutting the dip tube a bit shorter? I would lose a bit, but it would mean for clearer transfer of beer.

Edit: What would you think of a pressure gage manifolded with something like this downstream: McMaster 99045K11

I can't comment from an expert point of view....search for WortMonger's "closed fermentation under pressure" thread in his sig. You shouldn't have to permanently modify anything.....

I've used them before, and the trub/yeast does tend to collect on all the contours on the bottle, particularly around the handle. Other than that, they're handy if you're doing small batches in small spaces.

Are there any people out there with impressions of the 3 gallon better bottles?

I love them.

krausen5.jpg

They are easy to pick up, and with the square sides you can put a bunch of them in a swamp cooler.

So here's my low cost 1/2 batch fermenter:

0004178000247_L4.jpg

Made of PETE (same as Better Bottles,) holds about 3 gal of beer, and can be had for the cost of 4 lbs of pretzels - or free if your office mates eat them. The lids have notches in the lip so they're not quite airtight - this works pretty effectively as an airlock. The wide mouth also makes them easy to clean.

Also, around my parts (NW Ohio) you can buy 4 gal PETE water jugs at Menards for under $6.00, including the RO water.

I do 1.5 gallon test batches using 2 rossi jugs works out great i get 1 bomber for long term storage and a 12 pack of 12 ozers. Works out at 1 bottle for the local liquor store who appreciate good beers 2 bottles for the LHBS and Dry dock brewing (in the same building) for criticism and 9 bottles for this guy!
Original question i have a 3 gallon BB for 2 gallon batches of barley wine and other big beers and love it no oxidation with a 3 week primary

Edit: i do small batches on Mondays and 5 gallon batches to keg on Tuesdays so I keep the keezer full of tried and trues and test batches all at the same time:tank:

You could do a 2.5 gallon batch in damn near anything.....even a stockpot with a lid! If you're spending the money on a better bottle, I'd just as soon go with a corny.

Those cheap buckets seem like a good deal. I just spray mine out with hot water in the sink and sponge it out with dish soap. Works like a charm.

So here's my low cost 1/2 batch fermenter:

0004178000247_L4.jpg

Made of PETE (same as Better Bottles,) holds about 3 gal of beer, and can be had for the cost of 4 lbs of pretzels - or free if your office mates eat them. The lids have notches in the lip so they're not quite airtight - this works pretty effectively as an airlock. The wide mouth also makes them easy to clean.

I've wondered about those my friends have a bunch of those, we use them to put "body parts" in colored water as part of holloween setups.

Can the take the pressure of fermentation ok?

Probably with the notched lid, it does a good job of releasing co2, it's pretty much like the same setup of the MR beer fermenters.

I think that I am going to get a bunch more corny kegs and do 2.5 gallon batches in those. It makes more sense right now, as I am just building up equipment, to have something that can be used for many applications. I am also starting to shy away from plastic a bit; infections are not cool at all and having to throw out the one infected batch (of fruit wine - beers have all been clean) that I had was painful.

I am also going to have to make a spunding valve and experiment with some pressurized fermentation. Should be easy enough to throw together.

Thanks for all of the thoughts. They are most helpful.

I've wondered about those my friends have a bunch of those, we use them to put "body parts" in colored water as part of holloween setups.

Can the take the pressure of fermentation ok?

Probably with the notched lid, it does a good job of releasing co2, it's pretty much like the same setup of the MR beer fermenters.

With the notch there really is just a tiny bit of pressure that builds up during fermentation, even when the lid's on tight. The plastic is pretty thin, so it's a good idea to keep it in a crate when moving it around, though.

I've never seen a Mr. Beer, but I know some people will just use sanitized foil over the neck of a carboy instead of an airlock; this works about the same.

Back