Which Temp Controller To Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I'm looking to buy a temp controller for fermenting in a mini fridge and after a lot of research I feel more confused. I have also kicked around the idea of kegging and building a keezer for this with temp control. Thirdly, I have thought about designing a HERMS system that works with an electric water heater element.

All three of these projects would need a temp controller and I'm thinking I could get away with buying only two instead of three. I was thinking if one was not hardwired to the fermentation chamber or the keezer I could take it off of this for a few hours and use it on the HERMS while brewing. This means that I would have to have it wired with an outlet or extension cord type setup so that I don't have to rewire everytime.

So I'm looking at a Ranco ETC-111000, Johnson A419 and various Love controllers (these confuse me right now). Which would be the best for a "mobile" setup where I could easily switch the controller to a HERMS for a few hours? Which are cheapest in the end? Thanks! :D

I would build one of these:
controller.jpg

Love TS-13010 Temperature Controller - Lustreking Brewing

With one of these:
TS2_PIC.jpg

Dwyer Instruments - Series TS2

note:TS2-010 and you need to buy the probes seperately

You only use the stereo jack to connect the probe. The probe has two wires in it, and you patch these to the wires in the male and female ends of the jack. The only advantage is you could have a probe for each of you needs (BK, chamber etc.) and just plug and play at each station.

Back