crystal question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paithian

Reaction score
So like 8 weeks ago I brewed what I hoped to be a ipa
10# 2 row
2# crystal 60
2 oz whole galaxy 60
1oz whole galaxy 45
1 oz whole galaxy 30
1 oz whole cascade 10
1oz whole cascade 5
2 oz whole cascade dryhop 7 days
Us-05 68* 4 weeks

So I know now that 2# of crystal was to much its not sweet but is less bitter than most pale ales could the crystal mute the bitter

Your 45 and 30 min additions didn't add any hop flavor either which doesn't help. Your 10 min addition was a little past the point for maximum flavor as well. Moving the Galaxy to 20 and 15 mins would have helped bring the hop flavor out. That, and only a 1lb of the crystal would be good.

20-11 minutes left in the boil for hop flavor, 10-0 for more aroma. Have you bottled or kegged yet? You could just add two or three ounces of a combo of galaxy and cascade

IMO, 4 weeks in the fermenter is too long for an IPA. Keep in mind that hop flavors will be the first flavors to fade. If you do everything right and pitch and ferment at 68, you'll probably be ready to keg/bottle at 2-3 weeks. My IPA/APA fermentation schedule is dryhop on day 7 if fermentation is done and bottle on day 14. Usually it reaches FG by day 4, so I'll dryhop then and bottle after 7 more days.

How is your boil? It doesn't have to be crazy, but if it is not a rolling boil, it could give you issues with hop flavor/bitterness.

The 4 week ferment included the 7 day dry hop and would have been sooner but work kept me busy lol its all bottled and carbed it doesent taste bad by any means its just more like a red ale than a ipa lesson learned I still have very drinkable beer

Latest posts

Back