Basement Friendly Yeast for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syke0021

Reaction score
My fermentation room is currently holding steady at around 58 degrees in my Minnesota basement. I'm aware of two yeasts that work well at this temperature: 1007 German Ale(which I just used to brew an altbier) and 2112 California Lager.

I'm looking to brew a fairly high gravity, highly hopped IPA soon, but am questioning if either of these yeasts will be successful. I'm looking to hear from anyone has had success/failures brewing an IPA at this temperature? Any ideas on yeast/recipe choice at this temperature would be extremely helpful! Winter won't be over anytime soon and I have no intention of putting brewing on hold until spring...

I just did a batch friday of IPA, OG 1.072 pitched Safale US-05 and currently at 59 degrees. Safale 05 is my go to yeast if i dont have time for a starter or am doing a brew day on the fly...

Ferm was going within 18 hours...

Colder temps rock.. I brew more in winter than summer...

If you can put some foam or a shelf down, the beer will stay warmer than on the basement floor. Nottingham dry yeast does well down to 55 degrees or so, and it is well attenuating. S04 does great for me at 62, while I've used Wyeast's Dennys Favorite 50 (1450) down to 60 degrees.

Maybe some yeasts won't like it that low, but if 58 is the ambient temperature in the room then I'd say you're golden. Might take a little bit longer, but I'm guessing not much. People used to brew in the winter for this reason. Also because it was after harvest I'm guessing :)

Every think about a little portable heater in your fermentation room? That's what did before I got a freezer... swamp cooler in the summer, small oil filled heater in the winter.

Hey skye buddy, I live in Chan...I've fermented beers all winter in the past with S-05. My lower level is about 58.

US-05 is certainly my goto, and I find it works just fine (though a bit slower) in the high 50's/low 60's.

Back