Bottling Soda from a Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
Has anyone force-carbed soda in a Corny keg, then bottled it from the keg? I am curious if this can be done with the BierMuncher bottle filler or a similar setup. I'm thinking about making soda and giving 6-packs away as Christmas gifts, but I don't want to go the bottling-with-yeast route, fearing of exploding bottles.

I have filled bottles from the tap using a method similar to Bobby M's. It works well, however I have not tested any of them long term. Im sure they would be fine as gifts.

I haven't tried it, but I think it would work. That would be if it didn't have a foaming issue. If you purged the corney, and then set it at like 1 psi to just push the soda, it should work.

Would you want to try a couple and let us know? I really would like to know if this works.

I haven't tried it, but I think it would work. That would be if it didn't have a foaming issue. If you purged the corney, and then set it at like 1 psi to just push the soda, it should work.

Would you want to try a couple and let us know? I really would like to know if this works.
Sure, when I get around to making the soda I'll give this a try. I'll report back with my findings. Also, I'm guessing I should probably use plastic bottles rather than standard glass beer bottles, due to the greater levels of carbonation in soda than in beer. Since I'm force carbing, I'm less worried about bottle bombs, but I don't know if glass bottles will hold up to the CO2pressure levels in soda over the long term. Can anyone weigh in on this?

1) use this to fill your bottles: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/
if you just pour it in without pressure you will have flat foamy soda.
2) soda is full of the thing that bugs love - glucose (sugar) and has none of the stuff that bugs (yeast,bacteria, mold) dislike - alcohol. You must add a preservative if you bottle and you had better refrigerate the stuff.
3) If something does take up residence and start to ferment your sugary soda in the bottle it will become a bottle bomb. If the bottle remains sterile then the pressure inside will not rise above the fairly low pressure that you bottled it at plus temperature change - ie. no bottle bomb)
4) When you bottle beer from the keg and get spillage its fairly easy to clean up - when you bottle sugary soad you will have spills and sprays of a thin syrup which if not cleaned up promptly will become a thick syrup and great huge sugary mess.

Best of luck.

From what I have heard/seen, the beer bottles should easily handle the ~35psi. There are plenty of sodas on the market in beer type bottles. Really, I belive that bottle bombs are really only a concern when making CO2 with yeast. Remember, when the yeast creates the co2, its in the headspace building. When you force carb, the co2 is already in the soda.

I wouldn't use beer bottles. Sure they can handle 35psi... but that is soda under 40 degrees, you heat it up to 90 and where are you at then? Soda has a few saving factors from infection, but it can still happen (is fairly acidic, can have preservatives if you put them in or they come in the flavoring)

Has anyone force-carbed soda in a Corny keg, then bottled it from the keg? I am curious if this can be done with the BierMuncher bottle filler or a similar setup. I'm thinking about making soda and giving 6-packs away as Christmas gifts, but I don't want to go the bottling-with-yeast route, fearing of exploding bottles.
Did any of those solutions end up working for you?

I have bottled from a keg using a counter pressure bottle filler i bought off of Amazon. Worked great for me. I tried the soda even a month or so later to test it and i t was still delicious and carbed nicely.

I have bottled from a keg using a counter-pressure bottle filler I bought off of Amazon. Worked great for me. I tried the soda even a month or so later to test it and it was still delicious and carbed nicely.

Could you be kind enough to run me through your bottling process step by step using the counter pressure filler (omitting cleaning and sanitizing procedures)? Also, what are your keg TºC (or ºF if you prefer) and pressure values? Using those values, how long does it take to carbonate?

Latest posts

Back