HBT NFL '08 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I went 2-2 this week, but my original 2 super bowl picks are still alive and kicking.

I like Pittsburgh's chances against Baltimore because the ravens are beat up right now, steelers D will fluster Flacco, and it is in Heinz Field.

I also like Philly next week. They should be able to pressure Warner into making mistakes, and Mcnabb and Westbrook will have a big day against the AZ D.

I'm pulling for a Baltimore/Philly Superbowl, that will get this area all fired up, lol

I'm not surprised at all by the AFC championship matchup. The Raven's and Steelers D keep them in the game. As long as the O doesn't make too many mistakes they can win.

The NFC matchup really surprises me. I expected AZ to lose in the first round and gave them no chance this weekend. I expected Philly to do better but really thought that the Giants would win.

Of course I think Pittsburgh will win its third game against the Ravens. I still like Philly better than the Cards but the Cards have already surprised me twice so i don't have much confidence in that pick.

Craig

As a Giants fan I am really disapointed that the season is over. I thought the defense did all that you could ask for in that game and the offense of the Giants played like crap. I am curious to see what happens in the off season with receivers. I think they need to go out and find someone to replace Plaxico.

I think I would like to see a Philly Steelers super bowl with the Steelers pulling out a win in a good game.

I'm going to pull a Bradshaw and stop picking against the Cardinals. If Bolden gets to play and the O-line can protect Warner they'll win.

And Pittsburgh...

I'm pulling for the Cardinals and Ravens. The Cards have never made a SB, so that'd be cool. I don't particularly want to see either the Ravens or the Steelers in the SB, but I freaking hate the Steelers almost as much as I hate the freaking Cowboys so I'm going with the lesser of two evils. :D

I hope Cards drag the Eagles all over the field like the box spreader of fertilizer they are. :D

Real nice antic by McNabb, btw. Didn't see him doing that when he was throwing 2 interceptions, fumbling and getting sacked TWICE in Baltimore a few months ago. :cool:

GO RAVENS!

Any Kansas City fans around here? Congrats....

Scott Pioli's the one guy (other than Belichick) that the Pats are going to miss the most. It sucks seeing him go, but you can't do anything but wish the man well after the spectacular job he's done in New England. Good for him that he's going to work for the Hunts, who, if anything, have historically been TOO patient with their coaches and front-office personnel. Pretty sure that he's had several chances to jump ship before now, but KC seems like it'll be a good situation for him. It sounds like KC's got some cap space, so maybe Pioli will be able to get things righted without having to clear out a lot of deadwood first.

It makes you wonder what the hell Lerner was thinking when he let Pioli get out of town without a contract, then he signs Mangini to coach. *No one* else with a head coach opening even interviewed Mangini.

I'm beginning to think that the ownership of the Cleveland Browns may be just as inept as the ownership of the Detroit Lions.

I don't think it's an issue of letting Pioli out of town without a contract. I'd wager that Scott just told them "no thanks." He's in a position where he doesn't have to take whatever GM position is offered to him; he had a great gig in New England already, and he knew that he was the candidate who was most in demand. There's more at play than just throwing him a lot of money; I mean, money's a factor, but Pioli's GOING to get paid, and it seems like for him, it's always been key to get the RIGHT job. Why go to Cleveland if you aren't confident in the ownership or the rest of the organization? From all you read about Kansas City, there's a lot more potential there than at any of the other teams that are looking for new GMs.

A little football humor:

Detroit, MI (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a Wayne County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Detroit Lions, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

still waiting for one of these Belichick super genius assistant coaches/coordinators to do something worthy. mangini cries in new york, they're cheating and gets fired after tree years, and romeo coaches the browns right back into their expansion draft position of ten years ago... the supposed defensive super coordinator can't even put a defense together that can tackle...

how learner couldn't even wait to talk to mike shannahan is beyond me...

**** the browns... we got lebron for two more years...;)

Arizona is dominating the Eagles and look like their getting ready to score a third touchdown. :mug:

EDIT: 21 - 6 Arizona

motivator6183198.jpg

Ugh - the Steelers again. Now I have to put up with about a half dozen guys at work strutting around for 2 weeks like they own the place.

At least one of the teams that I wanted made it in... GO CARDINALS!

I'd have much rather seen Philly in the Super Bowl, if for no other reason than to avoid seeing Brenda Warner's visage (with her Tami Faye plaster job) for the next two weeks. Bad enough to have to listen to Kurt ramble on endlessly about his personal Lord and savior.

I'd have much rather seen Philly in the Super Bowl, if for no other reason than to avoid seeing Brenda Warner's visage (with her Tami Faye plaster job) for the next two weeks. Bad enough to have to listen to Kurt ramble on endlessly about his personal Lord and savior.

Warner's god rants are tame compared to those of Ray Lewis. Did you hear him after they beat TEN?

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! god is awesome, he is so awesome!

That's cool that you believe that and all but you know... they asked you about football - not for a mini-sermon.

I agree with you Jay, but she's toned it down quite a bit since coming to AZ. I've only seen her on TV maybe once or twice.

Ugh - the Steelers again. Now I have to put up with about a half dozen guys at work strutting around for 2 weeks like they own the place.

At least one of the teams that I wanted made it in... GO CARDINALS!

What a slugfest!!
Ravens had two things against them in that game. 1. They were pretty beat up from a long stretch without a bye and playing Tenn and 2. They had a rookie quarterback.
1. didn't appear to play much of a factor in the game though there were alot of players who missed time in the game due to injuries.
2. Flacco looked like Ben in his first AFC championship, maybe worse. I think he's going to be a really good quarterback but he wasn't yet ready for the big game.

And ofcourse Arizona surprised many people, again by winning. Has any team in the playoffs won 2 home games as underdogs. Kurt Warner and Fitzgerald are getting it done.

It will be a great matchup to see how those 2 do against the Steeler D.

GO STEELERS!!!!!

Craig

What a slugfest!!
Ravens had two things against them in that game. 1. They were pretty beat up from a long stretch without a bye and playing Tenn and 2. They had a rookie quarterback.
1. didn't appear to play much of a factor in the game though there were alot of players who missed time in the game due to injuries.
2. Flacco looked like Ben in his first AFC championship, maybe worse. I think he's going to be a rally good quarterback but he wasn't yet ready for the big game.

And ofcourse Arizona surprised many people, again but winning. Has any team in the playoffs won 2 home games as underdogs. Kurt Warner and Fitzgerald are getting it done.

It will be a great matchup to see how those 2 do against the Steeler D.

GO STEELERS!!!!!

Craig

You forgot a couple:

3. A phantom roughing the kicker penalty continuing a drive that resulted in a TD.

4. A horrible non-call on Limus Sweed when, after he was forced to play defensive back due to a poor throw in the end zone, he clearly pulled the facemask of the DB. No call and the Steelers kick a 40+ yard FG to go up 16-7. If that call gets made, they're out of FG range and are forced to punt.

5. A terrible spot on 4th & 1 in the 1st quarter. I think that Polamalu had Flacco down on that QB sneak, but the whistle was never blown until Flacco twisted around and clearly go the ball up to the 1st down marker. Somehow it was spotted more than 1/2 a yard back from where it should have been. At worst, BAL would have had a long FG attempt in what was a close game at that point (either scoreless, 0-3 or 0-6).

I think AZ has it hands full with Pittsburgh ... and I am really sorry to see Philly lose (I used to take my grandmother to the games down at the Vet)

God-talk ? I remenber hearing about Reggie White talking to QB's he would sack, asking them if Jesus was their savior, as he helped them back up.

Too bad he died so soon .. what an athlete and genuine competitor..god or no god.

You forgot a couple:

3. A phantom roughing the kicker penalty continuing a drive that resulted in a TD.

4. A horrible non-call on Limus Sweed when, after he was forced to play defensive back due to a poor throw in the end zone, he clearly pulled the facemask of the DB. No call and the Steelers kick a 40+ yard FG to go up 16-7. If that call gets made, they're out of FG range and are forced to punt.

5. A terrible spot on 4th & 1 in the 1st quarter. I think that Polamalu had Flacco down on that QB sneak, but the whistle was never blown until Flacco twisted around and clearly go the ball up to the 1st down marker. Somehow it was spotted more than 1/2 a yard back from where it should have been. At worst, BAL would have had a long FG attempt in what was a close game at that point (either scoreless, 0-3 or 0-6).

3. Horrible call on the roughing the kicker. However it resulted in no points as the Steelers mismanaged the clock at the end of the half. So thankfully it had no effect on the outcome of the game. (Ravens getting the ball back inside the 10 with <1min was not going to result in points for them either)

4. Did not see and face mask in any replay. I thought Sweed played pretty good defense. Giving his drops this year maybe the Steelers should switch him to CB. That was the only really bad ball I thought Ben threw all day.

5. I think that ball position was hard to judge. They had to move the ball a full yard and he was initially stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage. Perhaps his second effort got over the line, but remember it is where the ball is located not Flacco's head. This call could have gone either way.

If Steelers make a couple of plays they should have (Holmes dropping the ball at the 1, Sweed dropping the easy TD catch) this game could have been much uglier. Raven's got outplayed, but as is the case with most NFL games, it was close.

Craig

I was on fast forward through some of the game, so I'll trust that I'm wrong about points resulting from the bad roughing the kicker call.

I brought up the Sweed play to a couple Steelers fans at work this morning and they both agreed. The DB's head clearly got pulled.

Ya, spot of the ball is tough. Like I said, Polamal had him down but the whistle didn't blow. If the whistle doesn't blow then his progress up until the whistle should have counted.

He went from "...playong on America's team to playing on North America's team".

What a freaking idiot.

Back