need a wort chiller any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
working on getting the stuff to go all grain. was at a restaurant supply store today looking for a pot and the guy mentioned he had a used one in the back 8 gallon stainless steel nice thick sides. he sold the pot to me for $25 my kind of deal. the only down side is i need a lid for it.

anyway i now need a wort chiller anyone know of a fairly cheap way to make one.

air conditioner grade 3/8 bendable copper tubing at home depot, about a dollar per foot.

squeekysheep how easy is that to bend, and what do you get to secure that to your water line
It isnt that hard to bend. I did mine last night 50' of 3/8" copper bent it by hand. It may not be pretty but i bet it will work..
attachment.php

SD

CHILLER.jpg

Scrap copper prices have gone through the roof and it is a little rediculous take this example:

Prior to 1982 pennies were made with 95% copper, the 95% copper cents weigh 3.1 grams. Today they are made with 95% zinc, cents made today weigh 2.5 grams. Currently scrap copper sells for more than 2.50 per pound and it only takes around 150 pennies to equal a pound. Thus each pre 1982 penny is worth more as scrap metal than it is as an actual penny.

If only there was a way to sort out the pre 1982 pennies from the new pennies quickly and efficiently, then shred them up and sell them to scrap dealers.

I bought 25 feet last week at the home depot here in New Rochelle, NY for 26 bucks.

so what did you use to connect the chiller to the water source

i seen a wort chiller at my local store but it's $60 and only half as long s i would like

squeekysheep so what did you use to connect the chiller to the water source
I used plastic tubing and waterhose fittings both from HD. I think the whole thing cost about $60 including the tubeing.

SD

Back