Coping with Pressure at Work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
So recently I just received a nice reaming and I was curious how people here respond to such events?

Normally, if I didn't have a wife and child I would have told my boss to shove this job up his arse... but since I enjoy my job and have to agree i have a pretty sweet gig here my response was well taken...

I let my boss lay into pretty hard, and bit my tongue, then after he was done I came up with a list of all the positive things I do for this company, then I personally critiqued myself and gave my boss about a page of negative things I need to work on and asked for guidance.

I'm sure everyone's boss is different, but mine took my response very well and his attitude went from being completely pissed off at me to a complete 180 and is now defending me and asking other people to get their crap together.

Now I just need to follow through and improve.

I feel your pain, I'm in the military and dont have the option of telling my boss to shove this job up his arse. It has its ups and downs, but their are definetly some days I just wish I could be fired, and have an awesome brewing job land in my lap. Just dreaming though.......

funny you should bring this up, today is performance review day at my work, I have a meeting about this in 5 minutes, lets see how it goes.

no, a simple mistake was blown out of proportion and a few things were added to the mix so it was rough, but def not something I had asked for...

Ah, you've suffered from the burlap bag breaking syndrome.

**** gets piled in there over time, then just a teensy thing will cause it to burst thus covering you in ****.

What you did was very mature. Your boss should take your response as a HUGE plus on your review. Second, if your boss is worth his weight, he'll come back at a later time and apologize for ripping into you. Hopefully your review went well and should reflect you strengths as well as your willingness to ask for improvement.

I've had to give my guys some "help" in their reviews - when they do what you stated here, I know they are on top of their job, so long as we see improvement on those points - write them down somewhere close to your desk and check up on them every day - helps keep you straight on what you said you are doing and what you are really doing -

as for getting chewed up, I have been ripped into because I don't drink the kool-aid - and that's what we call in my shop a "limiter". I'm about as high as I'll get in middle management.

Just means I gots more time to brew at home :)

What you did was very mature. Your boss should take your response as a HUGE plus on your review. Second, if your boss is worth his weight, he'll come back at a later time and apologize for ripping into you. Hopefully your review went well and should reflect you strengths as well as your willingness to ask for improvement.

I agree, the thing is, I like my job a lot and I want to stay with this company for as long as I can, I feel like I did the right thing here...

rather than get pissy I got constructive.

I feel your pain, I'm in the military and dont have the option of telling my boss to shove this job up his arse. It has its ups and downs, but their are definetly some days I just wish I could be fired, and have an awesome brewing job land in my lap. Just dreaming though.......
That's complete BS and you know it!!!

You always have an option...you just have to be willing to accept the consequences of your actions. ;)

OP: You did the right thing. Congrats. Fortunately, I work for and with some great folks...but only until next July when I become a member of the KMA (Kiss My A$$) Club because I am retiring!

Displaced MassHole View Post

Thats crap- I have told Officers to shove it. Albeit in polite and militarily correct way. One way to do it is know the rules and his job better than him. Doesnt win any friends but when they try to come down on you for something its always nice to be able to quote regs, emails and procedure.

Then stop at the class 6 on the way home.

You did the right thing man. My first couple of screw ups got me nailed but I handled it kind of like you did. Now that I have a reputation above the bar I can get away with a few mistakes. It really is kind of odd though.

I always looked at it this way, if your boss has half a brain they will get to the bottom of the problem. If they find that you have convaluted the problem and make extra work for them then god have mercy on you. So make it easy for them and tell them exactly what happened.

Thats crap- I have told Officers to shove it. Albeit in polite and militarily correct way. One way to do it is know the rules and his job better than him. Doesnt win any friends but when they try to come down on you for something its always nice to be able to quote regs, emails and procedure.

Then stop at the class 6 on the way home.

I'm not straight outa RTC, I know how the system works, and you cant tell me you've never bitched about anything! Everyone knows a happy sailor is a bitching sailor.

Latest posts

Back