Novice home brewer needs help translating a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrkinYards

Reaction score
So I fell in love with a local 'pilsner' so called the brewmaster to find out if he'd sell me 5 gal of it.

Come to find out the one I drank was the wrong recipe and wasn't really the spec pilsner, so he got me to write a bunch of stuff down of which I don't really know what all of it is.

All I have done to date is kits, so help me translate this to what I need to get to make it happen

2.7 Rar Pale Ale Malt Lebonovan
2.5% sour malt - designate
Pearlae
Sats Whir ?
17 IBU 60 % pearlae
21 24 Y Yeast - german lager yeast
Starting gravity 12.0

I wrote what I HEARD so you might have to translate, I didn't want to walk in the home brew store with that and them be like what the hell are you talking about....so what do I have here?

Well, the first thing is- can you lager? Can you ferment in the primary fermenter at 50 degrees for 2 weeks, and then rack to a carboy and then lower the temperature to 34 degrees for about 6 weeks. That beer is definitely a lager, and it uses lager yeast.

hmm - might be out of luck then - I don't really have a way to control the temperature of fermentation unless I fermented in a keg in my kegerator and adjusted the temps that way....and then my nut brown ale that is in the kegerator now would be changing temps...

OrkinYards said:
So I fell in love with a local 'pilsner' so called the brewmaster to find out if he'd sell me 5 gal of it.

Come to find out the one I drank was the wrong recipe and wasn't really the spec pilsner, so he got me to write a bunch of stuff down of which I don't really know what all of it is.

All I have done to date is kits, so help me translate this to what I need to get to make it happen

2.7 Rar Pale Ale Malt Lebonovan
2.5% sour malt - designate
Pearlae
Sats Whir ?
17 IBU 60 % pearlae
21 24 Y Yeast - german lager yeast
Starting gravity 12.0

I wrote what I HEARD so you might have to translate, I didn't want to walk in the home brew store with that and them be like what the hell are you talking about....so what do I have here?
Were you druck? :drunk:

Let's see:

2.7 Rar Pale Ale Malt Lebonovan I think means 7 lbs of 2 row Pale Malt Lovibon XX (a low number)

2.5% sour malt - designate, not sure here...could be 2 lbs of sour malt or 5% of the grain bill...

Pearlae are Perle hops I'm sure...

Sats Whir ? Saaz hops and whirlfloc for clearing...not used at the same time mind you...

17 IBU 60 % pearlae is 17 IBU Perle hops at 60 mins

21 24 Y Yeast - german lager yeast is "Wyeast" German Lager yeast..., not sure about the number though...;)

Starting gravity 12.0...no starting gravity is that...1.020 is too low, but it is not relevant since the OG is connected to how much grains you use and the amount of water...could be the 12 degrees Plato mentioned earlier...

I think you should ask again...BEFORE you start drinking...;)

Back