Apfelwein oops, what have I done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
Hi there,

Due to the human error factor I made a mistake and didn't discover it until two weeks later:

I put the apple juice into the carboy and simply added the yeast alone. Got some fermentation and then it quit.

I discovered my mistake and just decided to plunge on. I simply added the required sugar and reblended. Got a smashing good ferment going, yay!

So my question is this: What will I end up with? The usual stuff or something different?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Petunia said:
Hi there,

Due to the human error factor I made a mistake and didn't discover it until two weeks later:

I put the apple juice into the carboy and simply added the yeast alone. Got some fermentation and then it quit.

I discovered my mistake and just decided to plunge on. I simply added the required sugar and reblended. Got a smashing good ferment going, yay!

So my question is this: What will I end up with? The usual stuff or something different?

Thanks!

Jennifer

EdWort is the expert, but from what I understand the sugar is not required for a healthy fermentation, it's there to produce a higher ABV.

Back