Ordinary Bitter All Brittania

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFeltimo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 65f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
No
Additional Fermentation
Cold crash for 1 week
Tasting Notes
nice maltyness with a smooth hop bitterness, smells great.
This is a nice easy one for you.
Single infusion, mash @ 152f for the hour.
I batch sparge and get crap eff, so use % for yourself

90.1% Marris otter Pale. 7.26lbs
5% UK Crystal 45. 0.4lbs
2.7% UK Crystal 140. 0.22lbs
2.2% Melanoidin. 0.18lbs

Fuggles @ 60 mins to get 25.23 IBU. 1.36oz
EKG @ Flameout to get .23 IBU. 0.26oz
FUGGLES @ Flameout to get .21 IBU. 0.26oz

Enjoy

Nice job! I put a few in that competition, my scotch ale did well in points (i think? 78/100 combined) but didn't place and my california common did well but I think it was a weaker category. Are you entering the same batch in all of these or have you brewed multiple batches over the last few months? Congrats again!

Nice job! I put a few in that competition, my scotch ale did well in points (i think? 78/100 combined) but didn't place and my california common did well but I think it was a weaker category. Are you entering the same batch in all of these or have you brewed multiple batches over the last few months? Congrats again!

Thanks, I does feel good.
These were two separate batches.
Gold on one and the two bronzes on the second.
I did see a significant reduction on scores from the last two competitions though. Possibly getting old, I have a fresh batch carbing now.
On to the next I guess.

Did you save any bottles from the old batch to compare to the second batch? I wonder if non bjcp people could tell a difference between the two. Oh, just out of curiosity, can I ask your scores? I'm assuming my California common won on a weak category and figure to really do we you need an average of.... 45? 46? Not my 39..

I have four bottles left from batch two.
My scores were mid thirties I think. I was surprised it even placed. The previous comp was upper thirties and the gold was a 41 average.
I'm happy.

Can you post you OG/FG and Yeast strain of choice?

The OG was 1.038 and the FG is dependent on the yeast, I shoot for 1.010 with Us-04.
Any British ale yeast will do the job but I like it a little sweeter on the finish so shoot for these numbers.

Back