Proper Use of Irish Moss for Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
I am did a partial mash porter, about 4 pounds of grain and 6 pounds of extract for a five gallon boil. I used irish moss to clear up the beer, and remove some bad stuff left behind from the grain. I am having a problem in that I don't know if it is proper to use irish moss as a clarifying agent, as this is a mostly extract beer.

I remember hearing somewhere (probably here) that you are not supposed to use irish moss when using extract, as it binds some protiens in the extract. But I want to take out the haze causing agents from the grain. Should I use less Irish moss, or not use it at all?

I know using Irish Moss is important to get a clear all grain brew, and I use it when I brew all grain, but I don't know how to look at it when it is a combination of grain and extract.

Any help would be helpful...:drunk:

Iv'e used Isrish Moss in a couple of my all extract brews in the past. My HBS guy recomended it and even the clone books call for it. Never had a problem.

never heard that before. I have always used IM for all my extract brews. Fear not and RDWHAHB! Use IM in all your beers it wont hurt anything!

Cheers,

Being AG, I almost always use moss, but if ever in doubt, remember Time clears all beers.

I know using Irish Moss is important to get a clear all grain brew, and I use it when I brew all grain, but I don't know how to look at it when it is a combination of grain and extract.

Irish moss is sometimes referred to as kettle finings, the proper way to use it is to rehydrate it in a little warm water then add it to the kettle/boiler 10 mins before you remove the heat. It helps coagulate proteins and secure the hot break ie prevents proteins that have precipitated out during the break from going back into solution.

What about in a hefe? I make wheats about every third brew. Do you use IM in those as well or would it be a waste?

I second it...complete waste...unless you're going for a Kristall. ;)

For a Kristall I would use 2 tsp IM, keep it in the primary for 3 weeks, the secondary for another 3 weeks, then filter it. :mug: (But, then again, I don't like Kristalls).

Does Irish Moss go bad? I've had a big bag of it for years now. Should I dump it and get more, or just keep using it? I vote for keeping on using it, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Back