Imperial IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
So it's been ages since I've been on the forum and the first time I've brewed since last November. What better way to get back on the saddle than an IIPA. Thought I'd throw my IIPA recipe I brewed last week out there to see what everyone thought and just get back into the forum a little bit. The IIPA recipe uses all Centennial and Columbus because those are the hops we planted this spring and figured what better than a warm up for the upcoming years annual wet hopped IIPA. No surprise those two hops are favorites--hence we planted them.

Batch size: 6 gallons
OG: 1.085
Target FG: 1.016 (1.012 actual)
ABV: 9.1% (9.5% actual)
IBU: 92
SRM: 9

9# Pale Ale Malt
9# 2-Row
1.5 # Light Munich
1.5 # Crystal 20L
1 # Corn Sugar

0.66 oz 8.7% Centennial Pellets - 60 min
0.66 oz. 15.2% Columbus Pellets - 60 min
1.33 oz. 15.2% Columbus Pellets - 15 min
1.33 oz 8.7% Centennial Pellets - 12 min
1.00 oz. 15.2% Columbus Pellets - 9 min
1.00 oz 8.7% Centennial Pellets - 6 min
1.00 oz. 13.0% Columbus Whole Hops - 3 min
1.00 oz 10.0% Centennial Whole Hops - 0 min

Dry Hops: 2oz Centennial Whole, 1oz Columbus Whole 10-14 days.

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

My beers tend to finish rather dry, so I debated between 1.5# and 2.0# of Crystal 20. Went with 1.5# and mashed at 152F--figured that and the 1# of corn sugar would ensure it doesn't end up overly sweet--but I'm hoping the finish is not overly dry. Mashed at 1.2 qt/lb--fairly thick compared to usual for me (usually 1.5 qt/lb), but I know that grain bill would max out my mash tun and my efficiency takes a ~10% hit when I do really big grain bills--so I planned accordingly. Hit my numbers just fine. Fermentation kicked off very quickly and went like gangbusters--things are now winding down.

What ya think?

I like it... aside from bittering additions thats more columbus than I've ever used in a beer, but I do like an ounce or two split between my late additions and dry hops. In my opinion it really gives a resin/sticky quality that is so characteristic and necessary in a west coast style hop bomb. Also a lot more crystal malts than I've used in an ipa, but I do like that you went with a light crystal since you're using that much. I limit my crystals to 3/4 lb or less and if I want more complexity use part munich or vienna as my base.

Thanks for the feedback! Good to be chatting beer again on the forum. I used the 1.5# crystal to ensure the beer doesn't finish too dry. My beers tend to ferment to the top end of stated yeast attenuation or even a bit more--but I don't want beer with an overly sweet finish--hence the crystal amount. I'm curious to how the hop flavor comes out. Love Centennial and Columbus--although it seems like Columbus is a hop that seems to be loved or hated.

Bottled this puppy on Sunday. Can't wait for this to get carbonated........seems like a winner.

Tasting notes from sample at bottling:
the beer is a orange-copper color, fairly hazy, but this should clear well as the beer away from the bottom and hops on top of the carboy had cleared reasonably well. The aroma is a burst of piney, citrusy, boozy goodness. The flavor is quite hoppy—no surprise, solidly bitter with enough sweetness to keep the beer from being overly dry. The FG was a bit lower (1.012 vs 1.015--85% apparent attenuation) than I expected and CO2 will act to dry it out and enhance the bitterness some—which isn’t a bad thing, while quite hoppy, it’s amazing how much the malt still holds up. The booze is there but certainly appropriate and in the background. Very excited to see this thing carbonated.

IMG_7002_sm.jpg

Pretty hilarious stuff. Glad I'm not in that camp. I could see too high FG being a big problem for people brewing IIPA. I used a decent amount of crystal, but needed it with the 85% AA. I most certainly will be impatient waiting for it to carbonate.

Be glad it attenuated to 1012... I like my II IPAs in the single digits. I tried a different yeast on the one I'm drinking now and it seems way sweet even though it's 1013. That might be the 20% Munich and half pound of honey I used in the recipe.

I love the hop profile of it, but wish it would have got down a few more points. f That's my taste though. Your's may vary.

Back