Scottish ale oaked with Scotch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
I'm considering experimenting with making a traditional scottish ale, then secondary with some oak chips, then kegging with 675 ml of Scotch...nothing too expensive however.

Was curious if anyone has attempted this? If it was a huge disasters I might just save my money.

That sounds like a lot of scotch to me. If your curious but not completely certain you could always split the batch

inhousebrew said:
That sounds like a lot of scotch to me. If your curious but not completely certain you could always split the batch

Only reason I chose 675 ml is I've made some bourbon barrel ales in the past that turned out near perfect. Splitting the batch might be a good idea.

Only reason I chose 675 ml is I've made some bourbon barrel ales in the past that turned out near perfect. Splitting the batch might be a good idea.

Well, I should mention that that sounds like a lot to someone who has never put scotch in a batch of beer so take it for what it is.

inhousebrew said:
Well, I should mention that that sounds like a lot to someone who has never put scotch in a batch of beer so take it for what it is.

Understood, I like to be able to taste the whiskey. Like I said, it'll be an experiment so we'll see how it goes. I go to a Scottish festival every year where a few Scots travel to from Scotland and want to perfect it by then. They're big whiskey drinkers which is what gave me this idea. If it's not perfect I'll be leaving it home.

I would love to try making something like this. My 2 favorite drinks. Beer and scotch mxed into one perfect brew. Could be on to something.

SFGiantsFan925 said:
I would love to try making something like this. My 2 favorite drinks. Beer and scotch mxed into one perfect brew. Could be on to something.

Thanks! I'm more than intrigued with it, I'll put something together here in the next few weeks and brew it by Halloween. I want some high gravity so a few months will be required for sure.

Back