What to do with mulberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So a friend has grown some fresh mulberries, and is willing to give us a few. Right now, I don't know how many I will get, but I will certainly scale down the recipe if I don't get enough.

So what brew would go with mulberry? Hell, what does mulberry even taste like (I'm not a berry kind of guy)?

I'd figure a wheat or a blonde, but I've just done both of them separately. I've had good success with strawberry saison and raspberry saison.

I've also done a Magic Hat #9 clone, so I have the apricot pale ale already done.

I'd like to not step on my own toes and have too much of one style of beer around, but I also want to make sure I make the right style for the fruit.

Help! :)

Morat: no it's not another Sascha Baron Cohen character.

It's a mead with mulberries.

I've never done one, so I can't comment beyond that.

I can see two routes. One is in a Stout (I can see either sweet or dry), the other do something lighter, with wheat...although you *might* get a wierd color. Mulberry is hrm, well they are very good kind of like a cross (flavorwise) between a Blackberry and uh maybe a blueberry flavor?? They have a nice purple color, but I am not sure if you brewed something light in color if it would retain the purple. They have a substantial flavor. They do stain so take care with that aspect. The flavor is usually very good.

Back