Should my new CO2 regulator be leaking like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aplus01

Reaction score
I bought a new regulator and went to use it for the first time today and noticed it's making a hissing noise. I sprayed some starsan on the regulator and saw bubbles coming out of the backside of the regulator. This isn't normal right? Is this something I can fix? Or should I try and return it?

Here are the specs from the label on my regulator:
Taprite Series 740 Compressed Gas Carbon Dioxide Regulator 366M

Video of what's happening:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGLtsoSk2Ls]Leaky CO2 Regulator - YouTube[/ame]

Frak! I suspected as much. So there's not something I could do to correct the issue then?

It's passing gas past the pressure relief valve.

Is the low pressure gauge reading high? like over 40 PSI? If so then the pressure may just be set too hight - back the screw out and see if the hissing stops.

If this isn't it then the regulator is bad.

Sounds like an exchange/refund is my best solution. I just got all this gear so I have no idea what is appropriate for it to be doing. I figured it probably shouldn't be spewing gas though. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

I got as far as adding some pressure to a keg and disconnected it when I saw the regulator leaking. Will that keg be ok till a replacement arrives? Oxidation won't be an issue will it? I guess it won't likely carbonate fully but I'm hoping I haven't wasted a batch of beer.

The vendor was super cool and has agreed to cross ship a replacement so I can periodically pump some CO2 into my keg.

It looks like you have found a great supplier - I suggest you stick with him.

Great suggestion!

I bought my gear through kegconnection.com. They've got a replacement en route (should arrive tomorrow).

They had the lowest price for a basic 2 keg setup and they've been great about getting me back up and running. I'd totally recommend them if you're in the market for kegging gear.

Back