Grandma's Robust Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
10lbs light dry malt extract(save 3/4 of a cup for bottling)
.5lbs roasted barley
.5lbs chocolate malt
1 16oz jar of Grandma's Robust Flavor Molasses
6oz northern brewer hops pellets
2oz cascade hops pellets
2 packets of edme dry ale yeast

start with 1 gallon of water. steep grains in water(almost boiling) for 1 hour. once finished, add 2 more gallons of water, malt extract, molasses and northern brewer hops. boil for 45 mins. then add cascade hops for 15 mins. take off heat and let cool. pour into fermenter and add 2 more gallons of cold water. pitch yeast when wort is between 65-75 degrees. ferment for 1 week(mine fermented out in 24 hours, but i left it in there for a week anyway) rack off into bottling bucket. boil 1 cup of water and mix the 3/4 cup of extract that was saved. stir into beer. careful, try not to let too much air into the beer during this step. bottle as usual. age for atleast 2 months, although you can try a bottle after about 3 weeks. mine turned out to be 10% alcohol. it was a very strong, very dark brew. i loved it!! enjoy!!! :cross:

so i have brewed this again but this time went all-grain with it. here it is:

16 lbs 2 row(i used rahr)
.5 lbs choc. malt
4 oz black patent
4 oz carafa
.5 lbs 120 crystal
1 lb dark candy sugar
1 16 oz jar of robust flavor molasses
6 oz northern brewer pellets
2 oz cascade
i can't totally remember but i think it was the orange safale yeast i used

mashed @ 150 for an hour
started by adding an ounce of brewer at the start of the boil(90mins) an ounce at 75 mins, 2 oz at 60 1 oz of brewer and 1 oz of cascade at 30 and then the rest of the hops at 15.

primary 2 weeks
keg 3 weeks
force carb and enjoy
min didn't make it very long, within 2 or 3 weeks i was already out and missing the taste.

i've been haunting the forums again. i've had to take a few breaks from brewing here and there, i've changed jobs, moved, have to move again soon, haven't been able to keepa stead supply going yet, but very soon i'm going to start hitting it full bore.

Back