Using Millet for brewing???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Someone else posted up about it a couple days ago.

IF a company starts selling GF malted millet (to homebrewers), even if it is just a base malt that we could then roast to varying levels of darkness ourselves, that would be f*in sweet.

If it means they sell millet malt extract alongside sorghum extract (again, to homebrewers), that would be...somewhat less than f*in, but still pretty dang sweet.

If they start making and selling some millet-based GF beer, then hey, at least there will be some more alternatives out there for everyone to buy, and who knows, maybe it will actually be really good.

I'm hoping it works out well.

ive used hulled millet in a few beers. i have not home malted it yet though, just roast waft crack and 1 hour steep. generally i use it in conjunction with tapioca extract. it has a really nice flavor, ends more on the sweeter side, and has a nice heffe aspect to it. i sent a tapioca millet strawberry blonde to lcasanova a few weeks back too.
i just finished a keg of tapioca millet with hazel nut extract using a home isolated heffe yeast, it finished sweet. like candy sweet and about 7 %alc, i called it hummingbirds heffless

ive used hulled millet in a few beers. i have not home malted it yet though, just roast waft crack and 1 hour steep. generally i use it in conjunction with tapioca extract. it has a really nice flavor, ends more on the sweeter side, and has a nice heffe aspect to it. i sent a tapioca millet strawberry blonde to lcasanova a few weeks back too.
i just finished a keg of tapioca millet with hazel nut extract using a home isolated heffe yeast, it finished sweet. like candy sweet and about 7 %alc, i called it hummingbirds heffless

Lucky... I guess your homebrew store orders tapioca for you? I have asked them twice now, once they never called back, and the second time they were supposed to email me back this past Tuesday... well they never did. My homebrew store lacks quality employees IMO as they have sold me 2 bad kegs, overcharge on Sorghum ($26 for 7 lbs), among a few other things. I am using northern brewer now and just ordering online.

Lucky... I guess your homebrew store orders tapioca for you? I have asked them twice now, once they never called back, and the second time they were supposed to email me back this past Tuesday... well they never did. My homebrew store lacks quality employees IMO as they have sold me 2 bad kegs, overcharge on Sorghum ($26 for 7 lbs), among a few other things. I am using northern brewer now and just ordering online.

damn right! im all for supporting local business, but if youre haveing to deal with half assed jerk offs, use the internets. they will order it for me. it ends up being a bit more expensive, and they only order once a month, so ive been looking to the nets lately, but if i need hopp socks or air locks corks stuff like that, ill go to them

Back