Crazy Floating Things in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther

Reaction score
I have these large globs that are suspended mostly at the top of my secondary glass carboy. Various sizes but geherally on the larger size. Periodically they sink to the bottom and then rise back up. I did siphon in some of the top garbage from my primary. Any ideas as to what I am looking at. My best guess is that I have a colony of sea monkies doing deep dives in my soon to be beer.

Sounds like trub/yeast suspended by CO2. Give it more time and if it is just yeast rafts/trub then it will settle out.

I do not have picture posting ability. Some of them do crash and stay at bottom I can see a few down there.

Sounds like yeast but sorry, there's nothing we can do without a picture.

Camera phone?

I think they are yeast rafts as well...how long has it been since you pitched your yeast? And I take it there was krausen which has now fallen?

This would be day 13. Racked into secondary on day 7. I took some pics with a camera but you really cant see the divers in the middle of the carboy.

Yeah, I still say it's yeast rafts - maybe brought up by CO2 that came out of solution, or maybe there was some new fermentation that occurred on account of the action involved in racking to secondary. If you have hydrometer numbers from before the move to secondary and you take one now, you might see a slight drop and that would help confirm the yeast raft theory and additional CO2 belching...

If anyone would like a picture I can send one via email. It is about 4mb so you can really see the stuff.

Looks like yeast to me also, especially if it rises and falls. I have had larger pieces of yeast cake due this. The few infections that I have seen generally float on the surface and were associated with some milky cloudiness. Yours looks very normal with good clarity.

+1, looks totally normal. Just yeast, or protein, or something. Definitely nothing to worry about. I've seen those bits floating in secondary many times.

i also seem to have yeast floating around in my secondary

should i try to filter them out when transferring to the bottling bucket? I was going to use a muslin bag rubber banded to the end of the autosiphon.

Just got up (HOORAY NEVADA DAY! Work and school is for chumps and the other 49 states) and checked my email. The pic is pretty conclusive: there be yeast in that there carboy!

Nevada Day???????? What is Nevada day?

Nevada Day is the day Nevada became a state. It's supposed to be October 31st but now they just do it like a federal holiday: slap it on Friday and make it a 3-day weekend.

When I was a kid it was awesome because we would go to the theme parks in California while all the Cali kids were in school and be back in time to trick-or-treat.

But I guess now I can appreciate the long weekend. And watch #24-Nevada destroy Utah State on Nevada Day weekend!

Back