Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aekdbbop said:
So if someone could tell me how to make it sweeter, less dry, and more apple flavor.. that would be awesome.

Thanks!

I read a couple people tried a different yeast strain added concentrates instead of sugar. They claimed it was sweeter and less dry.

This is what I did;

4 gal of juice
4 cans of concentrate
Red Star Yeast: Cote Des Blancs

Its not quite 5 gallons, I could have topped off with more juice. I plan to split the little split this batch on the way to the 2ndary and put two cans of "Oregon Fruit" in each ~ 2.25gal batch. Making Strawberry-Apfelwein & Raspberry-Apfelwein. I will top off with more juice at this time to reduce oxidation possibilites.

My batch is one week old and smells awesome, it has a much stronger apple nose as a result of the concentrate.

I forgot to take a gravity reading. I've been meaning to ask DeadYetIBrew if he did this. I think he started this variation.

I think less than 3 pages back somebody posted comments on the a batch made with Cotes. They claim its less dry. I think nearly 60 pages back I saw the same kind of comments.

Extra info on the yeast;
http://www.cfhb.org/mead/yeast_strains.htm#mont

:mug:

Edit: If its lower in ABV it will be less dry tasting and fruity. I imagine this what I'll get on this batch...

I followed ed's recipe exactly, I made this last night at around 9pm.
I just used the montrachet dry yeast just dumped it in the bucket like ed did.
I still dont have any signs of fermentation as of 11 the next day. How long did it takes for all you guys to start? I have jim beam in my airlock on my ale pail, when I was putting that on a little fell into the appfelwein, hopefully it doesn;t do anything to flavor. I would think it would to that much of a volume
I am sitting at about 64 to 66 degrees

yeah, sit back and have some more Jim Beam. 64 degrees is lower than my usual room temp of 72 to 74 and that is probably what is causing the lag time.

EdWort said:
yeah, sit back and have some more Jim Beam. 64 degrees is lower than my usual room temp of 72 to 74 and that is probably what is causing the lag time.

cool, I have it a little warmer than what I said last time just did a typo I am round 68

cool thanks for the info... i am actually trying to make enough of this for my wedding in 3 months... I wanna bottle it and have it on the tables... but i think if it were a bit sweeter, more would enjoy it.. has anyone had a finished product like that, and what are your variations?

I hate to ask, since I'm sure it's been asked before, but I have 5gal of organic 100% juice--but I noticed that there's ascorbic acid added (vitamin c). Is that as a preservative? Did I just blow all that money?

No you didn't waste your $$$. The asorbic acid is in the juice to reduce chances of oxidation while it sits on the shelf at the store. Several have made batches with asorbic acid. My batch right now has it in the concentrate and its going full bore right now. 2-3 bubbles per sec.

Schlenkerla said:
No you didn't waste your $$$. The asorbic acid is in the juice to reduce chances of oxidation while it sits on the shelf at the store. Several have made batches with asorbic acid. My batch right now has it in the concentrate and its going full bore right now. 2-3 bubbles per sec.

Whew, thanks. :mug:

My first batch has been in the carboy for 32 days and the gravity is 1.010. I thought that by now it should be around 1.000 and ready to bottle. Any suggestions? There are still some bubbles rising to the surafce and a little airlock activity.

AleHole said:
My first batch has been in the carboy for 32 days and the gravity is 1.010. I thought that by now it should be around 1.000 and ready to bottle. Any suggestions? There are still some bubbles rising to the surafce and a little airlock activity.

Wait until it stops bubbling or measures 1.000 FG.

Schlenkerla said:
Wait until it stops bubbling or measures 1.000 FG.

I figured that. I swirled the carboy around and resuspended the yeast. Hopefully it will ferment out soon I am anxious to drink this. When I tasted my hydrometer sample I was surprised of how much it tasted like wine. I was really expecting something more like Applecorn with more of a pronounced apple flavor. It was good though and don't think Ed's 3 rule will apply to me because I like it already!
:ban:

AleHole said:
I figured that. I swirled the carboy around and resuspended the yeast. Hopefully it will ferment out soon I am anxious to drink this. When I tasted my hydrometer sample I was surprised of how much it tasted like wine. I was really expecting something more like Applecorn with more of a pronounced apple flavor. It was good though and don't think Ed's 3 rule will apply to me because I like it already!
:ban:

Patience Grasshopper!! You must have patience!:D

OK back with my lag time question again, I made this on Sunday night at about 8 or 9 pm, I still do not have any action in my airlock, no bubbling what so ever. Should I let it go longer yet, or do you think something may be stuck with it? I am sitting at about 67-68 degrees.
And I am in a ale pale:( , it is all I had so I cant see anything? Do I pop the top off and see what it looks like?

mot said:
OK back with my lag time question again, I made this on Sunday night at about 8 or 9 pm, I still do not have any action in my airlock, no bubbling what so ever. Should I let it go longer yet, or do you think something may be stuck with it? I am sitting at about 67-68 degrees.
And I am in a ale pale:( , it is all I had so I cant see anything? Do I pop the top off and see what it looks like?

I'm in the exact place you are (same time, same temp, same activity), but I was reading something buried in this thread that all you can see is a thin layer of bubbles to indicate fermentation. I'm in a carboy, so I can see the bubbles forming. I'll assume you're probably getting the same thing, but can't see it. Probably just building up CO2 before it starts bubbling, or something.

mot said:

Patience. Don't take the top off. A carboy with very little head space would show airlock activity sooner than a ale pale with a massive amount of head space (I think). Give it another day and let it warm up to 70 or so degrees.

aekdbbop said:
so to sweeten it up.. could you add a can of apple juice concentrate after the fermentation?

Yes & No - You could added concentrate to another carboy then rack over the balance and drink whatever you can't fit into the carboy.

You'd want it to ferment out so it doesn't over carb. In think this is the original meaning of the 2ndary ferment. So often the 2ndary is just a clearing vessel.

Whelk & Mot - wait longer just like Ed said. When I made my first batch it took about 3.5 days. Mine was slightly colder. The fermentation looks like a beer w/o a head just bubbles coming up no foam usually. It starts slow then picks up going fairly fast for a long long time.

My batch is going full bore for almost 7 days.

Aekdbop - Almost forgot - If you go with Cote Des Blanc .... You MUST use yeast energizer.

Just made 5 gals of this stuff and I'm excited to try it!

Treetop was on sale at Winco too, imagine that!

So is this better uncarbed as I've had a friend tell me it's basically wine which you wouldn't carbonate but then I know some of you guys keg it so how would you do that without CO2...?

Reidman said:
So is this better uncarbed as I've had a friend tell me it's basically wine which you wouldn't carbonate but then I know some of you guys keg it so how would you do that without CO2...?

You can have it either way. I keg mine and they are carbed by the process of sitting under gas. I also bottle it too, and those are not carbonated.

Both taste great when chilled and taste even better after 3 glasses. :cross:

DNisich said:
Sorry guys, I thought putting "Ananaswein recipe" in the title of the message would be sufficient. Its the pineapple version that i am searching for. My bad.

BTW, the apfelwein has been in the bottle for two weeks now. I guess I will give it two more and then start to sample.

OK guys, SWMBO and tried the original recipe tonight. I poured it v. Hardcore store bought cider. The original recipe is pretty dry by comparison. However, the Boss, (my ol' lady) says she digs it much more than the store bought.

When I poured hers, I was pretty careful not to pour the yeast into the glass. It was very clear and had really fine champagne bubbles releasing at about the same rate as the Hardcore.

When she poured mine, she wasn't as careful and got the yeast in my glass. It was cloudy but tasted the same. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to enjoy the visual like she did.

Overall, there is plenty o' hooch in this. If this wasn't a school night (literally for me) I would do the requisite 3 per Ed's rule. On the other hand, the Boss already gave it 2 thumbs up so maybe it isn't necessary. Bottom line, I will be starting another batch toot suite and this will be a regularly stocked item around here.

BTW, for everyone in central TX, HEB has HCF gallon apple juice for $2.69. I think most of the time, if you can get the juice for less than $3 per gallon, jump on it.

Lastly, thanks Ed. Apfelwein kicks ass.

Don Nisich

DNisich said:
OK guys, SWMBO and tried the original recipe tonight. I poured it v. Hardcore store bought cider. The original recipe is pretty dry by comparison. However, the Boss, (my ol' lady) says she digs it much more than the store bought.

Overall, there is plenty o' hooch in this. If this wasn't a school night (literally for me) I would do the requisite 3 per Ed's rule. On the other hand, the Boss already gave it 2 thumbs up so maybe it isn't necessary. Bottom line, I will be starting another batch toot suite and this will be a regularly stocked item around here.

Lastly, thanks Ed. Apfelwein kicks ass.

Yeah Baby! When SWMBO is Happy, EVERYONE's Happy! :ban:

Welcome to the Club, the German Apfelwein Club!

I have a dilemma--- I have no room for my apfelwein, and the stuff is too damned potent to drink on a whim. . .

I'm looking at bottling the stuff, and giving it away.

How long does this stuff keep?

Biermann,
I understand your dilemma.......so I worked out a system. If anyone wants to try a bottle of mead, they also have to take 4 bottles of cider.....and return all 5 bottles

mjm76 said:
Biermann,
I understand your dilemma.......so I worked out a system. If anyone wants to try a bottle of mead, they also have to take 4 bottles of cider.....and return all 5 bottles

*L* Maybe I can work out a similar system with my doppelbock.

In all fairness, though, I still need to let it age.

Is there any reason to go to the secondary with this? I started mine on 3/22 using the orginal recipie with an OG of about 1.060 and on 3/27 I had an OG of 1.000. As of today (12 days) the airlock activity has stopped. Should I move to a secondary or just move it to a keg? Has anyone else had theirs finish this fast? It seems as though most people have ferentations that last for weeks if not a month.

Mike

Hope I dont get a really late start on this, been 2 1/2 days and no action in the airlock :(

Biermann said:
I have a dilemma--- I have no room for my apfelwein, and the stuff is too damned potent to drink on a whim. . .

I'm looking at bottling the stuff, and giving it away.

How long does this stuff keep?

You guys are sounding like a bunch of ninnies. :D

You can dilute the stuff 50/50 with apple juice or sprite. Or just use a rocks or wine glass. This still meets the 3 glass rule. Ed never said they have to be 22 oz hefe glasses!!!

Less Filling - Tastes Great - Messes Yo A$$ Up Real Fass. :cross:​

I would save it the stuff, should improve with time. One of my HB books says cider is divine at after 1 year. Claims to be better than champagne.

Keep it for next New Years. If you kegged it you could bottle it with a Blichman Beer Gun

Cappable Champagne Bottles would be cool. :rockin:

I normally use PET and since I knew this would be drank slowly I put it in 12 oz glass bottles. Better for long term storage. I bottled in 4 PETs for testing carbonation by squeezing the bottles. I'll drink these first.

Holy crap! I was expecting not to need any headspace at all, so I filled my carboy up pretty damn full. After being away for a few days I went downstairs to check on whether or not I had started visibly fermenting, and I had an airlock oozing with rum and apple juice, with bubbles shooting up like a bat out of hell. I guess I didn't count on such a vigorous fermentation. :D

Mutine Bullfrog said:
I'm 3 weeks into the process, its starting to clear and have 6 kegs waiting to be filled with something.

Are you saying I should start another batch? :D

You hit the nail on the head. Kegs are not by design to be left sitting somewhere all alone and empty. Go for two batches, or even three at a time. It's great to watch how each phase is different when you have something to compare it to.

15GallonsApfelwein2days.jpg

Back