Differing fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffdeezy

Reaction score
I was wondering if this would have any outcome on the final product, haven't tasted the beer yet so I'm not sure.

My garage is getting cold these days so I've been using a brew belt to keep the temp at 70 deg. After a week in the primary, I transferred to the secondary and didn't use the brew belt. Now the temp is around 56-60 deg. It's been about 2 weeks at this temp and I plan to keg it next week.

Is the differing fermentation temps gonna mess things up? I was thinking it wouldn't because the temp is not getting too high but was wondering if anyone had more insight.

So long as it's in range for the yeast it should be just fine. It's better to let any temp changes go slow so the yeast don't get stressed, but otherwise it shouldn't cause too many problems.

the flavors are effected the most in the first week or 2. secondary is clearing the beer up and letting them finish you should be ok around that temp.

I would suggest getting some sort of insulation for around you beers i use a small box that just fits 2 fermenters with a piece in between them to prevent quick temp changes around the beer.

Back