Rogue I2PA - Safale US-5 - Should I pitch extra yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
I am brewing an Imperial IPA with 12 lbs of LME. I am doing 6 lbs for the whole boil and 6 lbs at knockout. I am using Safale US-5 and am considering pitching extra yeast. Does anyone think this is a good idea for a beer with such a high starting specific gravity? Are there any potential downsides of pitching extra yeast? I have posted the recipe below. Thanks to all for the great help!

John Maier's Rogue I2PA

Malt Extracts / Additions: Boil for 60 minutes:
12 lbs Ultralight

Hops:
1 oz Galena (Bittering Hops boiled for 60 minutes)
1.5 oz Cascade (Flavoring Hops boiled the last 30 minutes)
1 oz Sterling (Aroma Hops are boiled the last 15 minutes)
1 oz Sterling (Dry hops added to the secondary fermentation for 10-14 days)

Wort Clarifying Treatment:
Clarifier - Whirlfloc (1/2 - 1 Tablet) - Add last 5 minutes of the boil

Use this pitching calculator. I'm assuming its going to suggest at least a 1.5 packets, but pitching two won't heart a bit. Overpitching is not a problem with this style as you should be looking for a clean yeast profile.

Hokenfloken,

How did this turn out? Looking for a use for a couple oz of Sterling in the freezer...

my favorite recipes is the I2PA, I use
magnum or zeus
cascade
sterling or saaz
amarillo

All grain version for me but extract should still be great. One package of 05 is enough for this beer at 5 gallons.

I just did a hophead ipa and that was 10lbs. of extract with a OG of 1.070. I pitched 1 packet of US-05. The calculater said 15 grams. Will just one be alright?

Back