Hop supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_clean

Reaction score
Where do i get the seeds to start growing hops?Also does anyone have a link for
the steps and what supplies i would need.Any help would be thanked.I wanna grow the hops in buckets on my apartment balcony.

Where do i get the seeds to start growing hops?Also does anyone have a link for
the steps and what supplies i would need.Any help would be thanked.I wanna grow the hops in buckets on my apartment balcony.

Hops are grown from rhizomes hops rhizome. It's getting late in the season to start hops so you may have to look around to find rhizomes.

Thanks guys,my brew store sells some rhizomes.I'll go there.thanx again im a newb when it comes to hop growing.

To be accurate and correct:

You can grow Hops from seeds - and there is a vendor on ebay who sells them - however in most cases you wont know the type of hop.

The most common method is to buy rhizomes in March April which also guarantees the variety you will get. Vegetative propagation is used for many crops and fruit , and hops are amongst those.
Hop Rhizomes - are a woody runner - sometimes hairy (mini roots) with growth nodes spaced about 3-6" apart that is created near the surface and are different from normal roots , which in Hops look like thin brown carrots and have no nodes.

For advanced gardeners, soft wood cuttings can be taken now in the spring and be rooted under controlled conditions.

Lastly hardwood cuttings can be taken in the fall and grown on for next season, which I have successfully done over this last winter

Last comment about seeds, 99% of hops grown today are grown in the absence of Male Plants - ie all we get are Female, and this means we get no seeds in the cones. Seeds affect the flavor and texture of hop cones, thus the reason to exclude them.

Back