Ferment time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered many times before as it seems like it would be a popular beginner question, but I will ask again. I probably will do what I will do anyway this first time around because I want to drink my beer soon.
But I want the info to be better able to make informed decissions in the future.

I made my first batch using extracts and had a lag time of about 6 1/2 hours.
Activity stopped about a day and a half later and it's been sitting since, this is day 3. I want to bottle this weekend.
Charlie Papazian suggests this method (5-14 days) while Palmer says 2-3 weeks for this type of beer/extract/recipe before bottling.

I think I would be satisfied if my batch at least tasted like beer. What would I benifit from a longer wait? I don't wanna wait:(

Tommy

The clarity and quality of the beer will be greatly improved if you rack it into a carboy for a couple weeks. This is called a secondary fermentor, commonly known as just 'secondary.'

You must learn patience, Padawan. Your beer will be much better for it.

:D

Do what I do: Brew all the time to distract yourself!

The "Distraction Method" works well at my house too.

Being impatient is one drawback that new brewers have to overcome. One way is to brew multiple batches. While one is in the secondary anothers in the bottle, etc.

Now there's nothing "wrong" with drinking your brew too soon, but if you wait until it's ready the reward will be greater.

I'm going to throw another newbie question into this...

If you keep yourself "distracted" by continuing to brew while you wait for fermentation and time for the beer to mellow in the bottle, do you have to keep two of everything and tons of bottles around...or just two carboys? Seems like you'd be swimming in beer! Do you find constant brewing to get out of hand?

Hunter

Take this for what it's worth, keeping in mind that I'm only on my third batch ever...

I found a method that works well for me. I have two carboys (one 6.5 gal, one 5 gal) for use as primary and secondary, plus a bottling bucket.

Week 1: Brew and put in primary.
Week 2: Rack primary to secondary.
Week 3: Plan next brew.
Week 4: Brew and put in primary. Rack secondary to bottling bucket and bottle it.
Week 5: Rack primary to secondary.
Week 6: Plan next brew.
***Repeat from week 4***

Sounds like that would keep you in beer all year long! I haven't yet started my brewing yet...still waiting on some final pieces. I think I'm going to pick up another carboy so I can give it a try.

I've heard so many homebrewing horror stories. I'm as nervous as a 16-year-old girl in her first mini skirt!!!

Hunter

I have three fermentation buckets and 13 cornies, so two of everything isn't an option! If I have too much ale, I take a cornie to a homebrew meeting.

I'll add my newbie story here.

My first batch spent 10 days in the primary and then into bottles. I tried a bottle after 7 days and it was great; it's now day 10 in the bottles and I'm drinking one a day ... but still telling friends and neighbors it's not officially ready yet. ;)

My second batch is now five days in the primary and I bought a 5 gallon Better Bottle to use as a secondary and enough bottles to have two batches in bottles.

I'm now researching what I want to make next because once all the people I've promised samples to come around I'll definitely need it. I'll have the empty bottles from the first batch when number 3 is ready.

If I could buy beer as good as my first batch turned out, I'd be buying it instead of making it.

I think that you would be OK with 10 days in primary and then bottling them. It might be the best but this is the first brew and I remember how impatient I was. You do have to build up a stock of brews so that means brew 2 more as soon as your fermentors come available.

gruntingfrog said:
Take this for what it's worth, keeping in mind that I'm only on my third batch ever...

I found a method that works well for me. I have two carboys (one 6.5 gal, one 5 gal) for use as primary and secondary, plus a bottling bucket.

Week 1: Brew and put in primary.
Week 2: Rack primary to secondary.
Week 3: Plan next brew.
Week 4: Brew and put in primary. Rack secondary to bottling bucket and bottle it.
Week 5: Rack primary to secondary.
Week 6: Plan next brew.
***Repeat from week 4***

Week 1: Brew and put in primary
Week 2: Rack to Secondary
Week 3: nothing (sigh, read a book)
Week 4: Rack to bottling bucket bottle:
Week 5 - 6: Drink a brew a week to experience beer maturing
Week 7: Plan Next Brew
Week 8: Brew.

Once I get more bottles, this'll change to what you have ... but until then!

I am on my second brew which is now in secondary carboy and I plan on taking a couple weeks off before i begin my next batch. The question was posted above about having too much beer? If this is possible. I am not to the kegging stage yet and I dont see the sense in buying hundres of bottles so I can keep up with my brewing. Do you all who dont keg but still brew continuously really have hundreds of bottleS?

Thanks

gonzoflick said:
Do you all who dont keg but still brew continuously really have hundreds of bottleS?Thanks
I have about 4 or 5 cases of bottles in different sizes. I didn't buy them but salvaged them from various sources.

i have 200 plus bottles right now just scavanged from friends for the deposit
i need more!! cause i like brewing more than drinking!

Back