Stone Delicious IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am about to head back to New Zealand after an Epic 5 week tour of the USA. After visiting stone in Escondido, I found one of my favourite beers from them was the Stone delicious IPA.
I won't have access to it when I go back. So want to work on a clone version of it.
Here's what I have so far.
Abv: 7.7%
Malts: pale, Munich, Vienna
Hops: nugget, lemon drop Eldorado calypso in the boil with an exclusive dry hop of El dorado.
Anyone got any ideas?

I should also mention that there is something in the spiel I saw/ article that suggested they use hop bursting techniques, read into that what you want. I'd say they bitter and then add a 15 min addition of something like nugget or calypso, followed by all hops at f/o and an El dorado dry hop.
HELP.

No. I'm just using Lemondrop & El Dorado. El Dorado for bittering & flavor plus the Lemondrop for flavor/aroma.

Sounds good.
I'm thinking for the hop bill to bitter with calypso at 60. Despite the talk about a hop bursting.
Nugget at maybe 30 mins followed by a big whirlpool of all 3 nugget lemon drop and el do redo, then dry hop wi Eldorado.
Something similar to a lot of the other stone beers hop recipes out there.
60 min 20-30g buttering hops. Calypso might be hard to find
So 1oz nuggets at 30 min
Then equal portions of the 3 maybe 1-1.25oz each
Then the dry of of 3-4oz El dorado.

Malt bill I'm thinking 2-2.5lbs of Munich 1lb of Vienna and make the remaining up with pale malt to 1.072-74.
Probably use WLP090 or US-05.

Nikobrew ships to NZ - might have to buy a good whack tho...

might be an excuse for more beer

ok so here iswhat I've come upwith..... If someone can offer some critique that'd be great.

76.3% Pale
7.3% Vienna
13.3% Munich
(1068-70)
hops:
Calypso - 3/4oz @60
Calypso - 1oz @ 20
1.25oz Eldorado @ F/O
1.25oz Nugget @ F/O
1.75oz Lemon Drop @ F/O
4oz Eldorado @ dryhop 3-5 Days.

I actually bought a 12pk the other week bc it was so good. I cracked one yesterday and not how I remember it. Looked at the use by date 9/1/15. Not bad but not how I remember. Looks like I need to kill em before September

I would say they are using hop oil for the inital bittering hops as it has that kind of taste to me. The IBUs are very high and they mention hop bursting so I think they're using a ton of late addition hops. I've also heard they have a long whirlpool at 190* so that will actually add IBUs as well. Heard they are using Vienna and Munich malt and it has a little of that DFH 90 malt profile going so I would say that constitutes 7% of the mash bill. Here is my best guess for a homebrew equivalent:

5.5 Gallons:
13 lbs Pale Malt/2-row
1/2 lbs Munich
1/2 lbs Vienna
4 tsp Gypsum
Mash at 150* for 60 minutes
10 ml IBU injector @ 60 minutes,
1/2 oz Nugget, 1/2 oz Calypso, 1/2 oz Lemon Drop, 1/2 oz El Dorado @ 5 minutes
1/2 oz Nugget, 1 oz Calypso, 1/2 oz Lemon Drop, 1 oz El Dorado @ Flame out
1/2 oz Nugget, 1 oz Calypso, 1 oz Lemon Drop, 1.5 oz El Dorado @ 190* Aroma steep for 60 minutes
Dry hop 1: 3 oz El Dorado
Dry Hop 2: 3 oz El Dorado

1.070 OG
Pitch 300 billion cells yeast (Conan, WLP007, or WLP002)

Final gravity should be 1.014.

I would say they are using hop oil for the inital bittering hops as it has that kind of taste to me. The IBUs are very high and they mention hop bursting so I think they're using a ton of late addition hops. I've also heard they have a long whirlpool at 190* so that will actually add IBUs as well. Heard they are using Vienna and Munich malt and it has a little of that DFH 90 malt profile going so I would say that constitutes 7% of the mash bill. Here is my best guess for a homebrew equivalent:

5.5 Gallons:

13 lbs Pale Malt/2-row

1/2 lbs Munich

1/2 lbs Vienna

4 tsp Gypsum

Mash at 150* for 60 minutes

10 ml IBU injector @ 60 minutes,

1/2 oz Nugget, 1/2 oz Calypso, 1/2 oz Lemon Drop, 1/2 oz El Dorado @ 5 minutes

1/2 oz Nugget, 1 oz Calypso, 1/2 oz Lemon Drop, 1 oz El Dorado @ Flame out

1/2 oz Nugget, 1 oz Calypso, 1 oz Lemon Drop, 1.5 oz El Dorado @ 190* Aroma steep for 60 minutes

Dry hop 1: 3 oz El Dorado

Dry Hop 2: 3 oz El Dorado

1.070 OG

Pitch 300 billion cells yeast (Conan, WLP007, or WLP002)

Final gravity should be 1.014.

I'd disagree there.
It's big and bitter because it's an imperial IPA. they use hop bursting which means no bittering hops. Possibly 45/30 mins though.
I'm only ping for an approximation rather than a clone as such. These new hops are all good separately. It's just a case of combination with each other.

I'd disagree there.
It's big and bitter because it's an imperial IPA. they use hop bursting which means no bittering hops. Possibly 45/30 mins though.
I'm only ping for an approximation rather than a clone as such. These new hops are all good separately. It's just a case of combination with each other.

Hop bursting could mean a lot of things although from my understanding it is supposed to mean that most of the IBUs are coming from late additions (which could still mean hop oil is used at the beginning of the boil.) I've had plenty of DIPAs, this is definitely higher in IBUs than most, and I'm tasting hop extract. If it's not hop extract then they are using a fair amount of Nugget early in the boil to get those IBUs.

ok so here iswhat I've come upwith..... If someone can offer some critique that'd be great.

76.3% Pale
7.3% Vienna
13.3% Munich
(1068-70)
hops:
Calypso - 3/4oz @60
Calypso - 1oz @ 20
1.25oz Eldorado @ F/O
1.25oz Nugget @ F/O
1.75oz Lemon Drop @ F/O
4oz Eldorado @ dryhop 3-5 Days.

Finally got around to brewing something similar. It changed a little from the above. This is what i used (mainly because I've never used 99% of these hops before.

85% PAle Malt
7.5% Vienna
7.5% Munich
Mashed @ 65 deg C.

90 min boil
30g Chinook @ 60min
30g Azacca @ 20min
75g Lemon Drop @ 0min
25g Azacca @ 0min

150g El-Dorado @Dryhop

3xUS-05

Dryhopping in a couple of days

keep us posted.

This beer is "new" to me even though its been out for awhile.

recipe looks good. I might try the pacman yeast though for my take at it.

Finally got around to this review.
It's bloody good tbh. Very different hop profile to other IPA's out there.
Is it like delicious IPA? Probably not ( I can't do a side by side). Lemon bite candied orange and some bitter grapefruit which is subtle. It really good. Finally starting to get IPA's nailed down now I think. Pic below.

I'm thinking the same beer but using traditional simcoe cascade and possibly mosaic to get an idea of the difference between the beers

View attachment 570341

Back