just found what i think to be mold in my bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossCreekBrewing

Reaction score
ive got some beer on its 13thday in the bottle, now there are some little specs of what looks like organic material around where the beer meets the air space in the bottle. drink it?

ive got some beer on its 13thday in the bottle, now there are some little specs of what looks like organic material around where the beer meets the air space in the bottle. drink it?

It's probably left over krausen from primary that got sucked through the syphon. Happens to me all the time.

Santa Monica Pale Ale? Cross Creek? Looks like we don't only frequent the same brew store but we live 4 blocks away from each other. I know CCV well, too well. Go figure.

No pathogens grow in beer. Spoiled beer may taste like crap, but it's drinkable. i.e. Never throw out beer unless it tastes like Satan's anus...

Open that bottle, pour it in a glass, and figure out what you've got. 10:1 odds it's just good beer.

No pathogens grow in beer. Spoiled beer may taste like crap, but it's drinkable. i.e. Never throw out beer unless it tastes like Satan's anus...

Open that bottle, pour it in a glass, and figure out what you've got. 10:1 odds it's just good beer.

+1 to it being safe to drink.

Actually wait another 10 days, and see if it falls, if it IS a bottle krausen it will fall just like in a fermenter.

Ok Ok. I know that the response to virtually 100% of these kinds of threads is: don't worry, idiot. Drink the beer. Worthy advice. But I encountered a "problem" just like the OP and I don't know what it is. I don't think it's krausen because it doesn't fall after being in the fridge for a week. Most, if not all of the bottles have this weird growth on the top of the beer. But how could it be mold?

The beer is a FWH ESB, nottingham yeast. It doesn't taste like one of my best, but it saw some temps around 75 F during fermentation while I was away on vacation.

p1050969z.jpg

What is going on here?

Back