Converted Keg Score - Need Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
So I was picking up some supplies at one of the LHBS today. As I was walking in from the back, I threw some trash in their dumpster and noticed a keg w/ the top cut out had been thrown out.

When I asked the owner about it, he said someone had brought it in, but he didn't want to sell it because he had welded the drain connection right in the bottom of the keg and if I wanted it, I was welcomed to it! :ban:

So here's my question... That seems like a perfectly acceptable setup for a MLT. All I need to do is screw in a ball valve and stick in a false bottom - right? I'm not missing anything, am I?

I've also already got another empty keg that's waiting to be converted to a keggle, so I was kind of stoked. I've been really low-rent w/ my AG setup up until now. The next thing I know, I'll be building a 3-tier setup, pumps, electronic heat controls, etc. Will it never end?!?!?!

Sounds like a good score to me. If oyu use it as a MLT, you'll have to find some foam or somethign to wrap around it for some insulation. Otherwise, should be cool!

No it will never end. :rockin:

Back