Digital Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap but reliable digital thermometer for brewing? I have an older floating one that I always have to grab by the very end, pull it out to read, then place back in the cooling wort.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap but reliable digital thermometer for brewing? I have an older floating one that I always have to grab by the very end, pull it out to read, then place back in the cooling wort.

Taylor 9940N

Absolutely love it. Use in mash/wort cooling no issues. I took the screws out so I can pop the battery out to save it. Easy Peasy. Forgot where I got it, just Google it. $20 or $25 I think..

Does it have a waterproof probe? How long does it take to get a reading?
Interesting...

Yep, just like it says on the web page. I dunk this thing in mash/boiling wort/star-sans to sanitize it. It really is awesome! Maybe 5 seconds to go from room temp to 150F. I just keep it in the boil or kettle when cooling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TKWWUCU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I've been using this one for over a year without issues. It's a cheap thermapen knockoff and it feels cheap, but its accurate (I check it in ice water periodically and have seen no drift) and you can't beat the price. Plus its made by a small family company and they have great customer service. I got an email from the owner asking how I liked it and if I needed anything within a week of receiving it. They said if I had any issues or suggestions for improvement, just email them and they will replace it and take all suggestions into account.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got this one in the mail. I only did a quick in ice bath and it was 32.2. I ordered it directly from them and with the base shipping it was below $25.00.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

20160129_113352.jpg

If this is truly submersible then I may have to bite on this. I use a Taylor probe thermometer that is not waterproof rigged up with some tubing and small o-rings to make it waterproof. Eventually the o-rings will fail and wort will get onto the lead and screw it up. Baking the lead in the oven fixes it but it is a PITA.

Amazon has a similar unit that does not have waterproof in the title but it does says it is submersible in the description. I have a bunch of Amazon credit so I may just get this model and see how it goes. I have a bunch of thermometers (including an awesome thermopen) but being able to drop it into the mash and just leave it in there is a big plus.

I was a big fan of the Taylor remote probe thermometer but I just calibrated it after my last IPA came out different than prior batches and found in ice water it read over 50 and in boiling water it reads 217. I'm not sure if it can be reset so it will sit on my shelf and I'm back to my CDN.

I was a big fan of the Taylor remote probe thermometer but I just calibrated it after my last IPA came out different than prior batches and found in ice water it read over 50 and in boiling water it reads 217. I'm not sure if it can be reset so it will sit on my shelf and I'm back to my CDN.

You probably got the wire lead wet. Try putting the probe in the oven and baking it at 250 for about 20-30 mins. Let it cool off and then try calibrating it again and see if it has corrected itself. As I said in this thread, once the wire gets wort on it, mine will start really flaking out and read all kinds of crazy temps. Baking it fixes the issue until it gets wet again.

You probably got the wire lead wet. Try putting the probe in the oven and baking it at 250 for about 20-30 mins. Let it cool off and then try calibrating it again and see if it has corrected itself. As I said in this thread, once the wire gets wort on it, mine will start really flaking out and read all kinds of crazy temps. Baking it fixes the issue until it gets wet again.

I'll give it a go. What's to lose?

While not a floating thermometer (it does but is not designed for that use), the Taylor 9842 is an awesome digi-pen and when my wife and I had a restaurant, we bought a case of them for the crew.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009WE45/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have this one as well...this thing is the reason why I just can't justify a thermapen buy...it does its job so well, its stayed accurate for years now. It takes a good 10 seconds for a reading to stabilize, no biggie tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great tip! Seems to have brought it back in line (within a degree on either end). Thank you.

When I first started brewing I was using one of those “kitchen” meat thermometers that have a probe on a mesh-covered wire, and a digital display where you set the type of meat and the desired doneness. Very cheap-o, but it served me surprisingly well for years… in cooking, anyway.

It worked well for my first 1-2 brew days, but after that it just started going haywire, with the temperature jumping around seemingly at random. Since its whole point is to measure the temperature of moist foods, it never occurred to me that it might not be waterproof. So I guess now I know why it started going haywire.

I grew wary of finicky electronic gadgets so for the last several brew days I’ve been using the built-in kettle thermometer for monitoring of strike water temp and wort chilling, and a floating analog thermometer in the mash tun.

I suppose the moral of the story is I should just invest in a good-quality water resistant digital unit, rather than cheap crap.

When I first started brewing I was using one of those “kitchen” meat thermometers that have a probe on a mesh-covered wire, and a digital display where you set the type of meat and the desired doneness. Very cheap-o, but it served me surprisingly well for years… in cooking, anyway.

It worked well for my first 1-2 brew days, but after that it just started going haywire, with the temperature jumping around seemingly at random. Since its whole point is to measure the temperature of moist foods, it never occurred to me that it might not be waterproof. So I guess now I know why it started going haywire.

I grew wary of finicky electronic gadgets so for the last several brew days I’ve been using the built-in kettle thermometer for monitoring of strike water temp and wort chilling, and a floating analog thermometer in the mash tun.

I suppose the moral of the story is I should just invest in a good-quality water resistant digital unit, rather than cheap crap.

I did the same thing. First I used an older Food network meat thermometer. Started going crazy toward the end of my first brew day. Then I broke our my Maverick MT732 and ruined one of its 2 leads. Time to invest in an accurate hand held I guess. I will say I liked being able to leave the thermometer probe in the mash and having a digital display to monitor with an audible alarm if it dropped below mash temp.

I use a ThermoWorks ThermoPop - it's a fairly cheap (~$30) water resistant thermometer that is accurate and measures relatively quickly stabilizing in 4-5 seconds.

However, if I had to do it over again I would go with the ThermoWorks ChefAlarm with the ProSeries Needle Probe. The main reason would be to have a fully submersible probe that I could stick deep within my mash. Additional benefits would be the temperature alarm (this would be great for strike and sparge water) and the countdown timer that would be useful for timing hop additions and mash times. All together the setup runs around $65. Well worth it IMO.

Back