Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPK

Reaction score
Last weekend I bought a bottle of Arrogant Bastard and decided I would have it with a burger today for lunch. I poured it cold and tried it after a couple bites of my burger...and hated it. It reminded me of my first couple homebrews and the austere flavors they had. Usually ice cold beer of any type doesn't bother me.

Well, I've left it decanted for 2-3 hours and tried it again and it is much more drinkable. To think I almost dumped it out. I don't know that I'll buy it again, but at least I'll sleep well tonight knowing it wasn't as awful as I first thought.

I had the same experience as the OP. My first brew was an Amber from a kit and they had similar tastes and mouthfeel. Just like mine, the Stone was much better after it sat for a little while.

It took me a couple tries to really start liking Arrogant Bastard. Kinda grew on me and it's probably one of my favorites now.

I love the Bastard. It is a pretty big beer and I have found I prefer to drink bigger beers a bit warmer, around 45 to 50 degrees. Really cold beer turns off your taste buds. That is why you have to drink Cheap American beers very cold because you don't want to find out just how bad they taste.

I love the A.G. and have ended up hung over more then once. I like it and usually end up over doing it once I get started...

Really on the fence about the stuff. Finished off the bottle and didn't really mind it too much at all. I'm still not feeling that it's world class, but I'll reserve judgement for a later time.

The biggest knock I have on it so far is being only 7.2% ABV and the alcohol coming through like it does. If that wasn't there, I could see myself being a lot more excited about it. All that been said, I'll probably try it again.

I'm not to thrilled with it either. I'd much rather drink a Dead Guy Ale from Rogue.

I find most of my ales better as they warm a bit. I brewed a Racer 5 clone recently and when kept in my normal fridge for 2-3 days, it's way unbalanced but when I keep it in my mini fridge set to 48, it's much better. In fact, I take a few sips and then set the glass aside for about 5 minutes and come back to some good stuff (though my R5 clone wasn't a great imitation)

Cheap beer Vs. good beer is alot like wine.

If all you've ever drank is piss poor pilsners that are close to water then you won't appreciate a good full bodied beer.

as with wine if all you've ever had is something that came out of a box with a tap. You won't know when you've had a really great wine.

but with everything everyone has a different taste some like what others don't.

BTW... I love arrogant bastard, just can't afford to buy it at the store all the time. drink maybe 2-4 a year. Probably start making it soon.

Just had oaked Arrogant Bastard. I think I might need to find a clone recipe for it. I thought it was well balanced and very tasty. Their IPA is a bit harsh, and this coming from a huge hophead.

I love the oaked bastard. Had my Growler filled with it once. Stone ipa is my bud light , although racer 5 is creeping up.

Arrogant Bastard FTW! One of the best American Strong Ales you can get. Plus Stone always has the best descriptions on the bottles. - You are not worthy

Try the Oaked version, it's much more mellow. I like Arrogant Bastard some times and other times I'll pop it and have to force it down because my tongue decides to just not like the Chinook hops that day (or most days for that matter). One day I'll taste a really good pineyness( this a word?) and then the next time it will taste extremely harsh and minty like Northern Brewer hops on steroids. Or my tongue might decide to only taste the malt complexity and it will go down more like a strong brown instead of the bastard.

Cheap beer Vs. good beer is alot like wine.

If all you've ever drank is piss poor pilsners that are close to water then you won't appreciate a good full bodied beer.

This has nothing to do with good beer vs. bad beer. You're talking about a smaller section of craft brewing that has intense malt, hop and alcohol flavor. I'm glad you've awakened to good beer but hold off the snobbery. This isn't a more flavor is always better argument.

Not every beer is meant to be liked by everyone. 10 years from now I hope people don't compare Boston Lager to Bud/Miller/Coors because it's one of the more tame Microbrew/Craft/whatever out there that is unoffensive and just plain awesome and easy to drink and found everywhere.

Arrogant Bastard is my favorite beer. I buy one every couple months, but a bit more often in summer. In fact, I think I am due to buy one again...

Its an aggressive beer. If you can't handle that, the bottle is right, You are not worthy! :)

I wish I could get 6-packs locally. All I can find are 22oz, not that I mind drinking 22oz of the awesome brew, but sometimes I really only want 12oz of any beer.

I love the Bastard. It is a pretty big beer and I have found I prefer to drink bigger beers a bit warmer, around 45 to 50 degrees. Really cold beer turns off your taste buds. That is why you have to drink Cheap American beers very cold because you don't want to find out just how bad they taste.

Truth.

"As cold as the mountains"... "(so you don't taste how horrible it really is)"

Same here. It was alright at first. It is really wicked, but after a bit it warmed up a little and shined.

Back