NW Bourbon Barrel Porter dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynavy03

Reaction score
So I started brewing the aforementioned extract kit, and goofed. It included an ounce of Goldings and an ounce of Chinook. Chinook is supposed to go in for 60 minutes, then half the Goldings for 15 minutes and the other half for 5.

Guess which packet I chucked in at the boil. Yup. Wrong one. Anyone have any idea if it's worth throwing in half the Chinook in for more than 30 minutes, since Goldings is a less bitter hop than Chinook? I figured I'd throw it out there to see if there were any driveby postings while I'm brewing. If not, the heck with it; I'll just throw the Chinook in at the times the Goldings was supposed to go in and see what happens.

Edit: Decided to throw 1/2 the Chinook in at 30 minutes in an effort to make up for the lack of alpha acids in the Goldings. Saving the other half for 5 minutes prior.

Original was 87.5 IBUs, and your solution was 67 IBUs.

If you'd but all the cascades in at 30 minutes, you'd have come in at 89. But the taste will be different no matter what. Take notes and maybe try it again in another batch with the correct hop schedule to see if you can spot the differences.

Make sure you do an update and let us know how it goes. I'm interested in how the "mistake" turned out, and if you do the batch again how it compares.

Hmm . . . interesting info. Didn't realize the 10 minutes would make such an effect on the IBUs. I'll have to learn to do the math on that, though hopefully not under a time crunch! :) I was trying to save some since the original recipe called for aroma hops.

If it was an IPA, I'd be more worried; there are worse things out there than a malty porter. Once more, learning has occurred through buffoonery. I'll be sure to post how it tastes.

Well, that one's a keeper. Slightly over 2 weeks in the bottle, and I broke down and tried two. Definitely on the sweeter side, not sure if that's from the bourbon or the hopping error. Can't really taste the oak. I primed with 5/8 cup dark brown sugar and it seems to be slow getting up to a decent carbonation. There's some, but no lacing on the glass or much of a head. I'm early, so I won't whine about that too much yet.

Hopefully another week or two and it will carb up. This is the first time I've bottle primed from secondary; I just followed the directions on the kit. Does it usually take longer with less yeast in solution compared to a long primary?

Back