Is the iodine test the only way to test starch conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
After having a couple of AG sessions under my belt I am starting to add some more testing. Is the iodine test the only way to determine that conversion is complete or can a PH meter or refractometer be used?

I don't know of another method readily available to a homebrewer. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, its nice to see another local.

After having a couple of AG sessions under my belt I am starting to add some more testing. Is the iodine test the only way to determine that conversion is complete or can a PH meter or refractometer be used?

Honestly an iodine test is one of those steps you can eliminate without much worry. Adding well-crushed modern brewing malt to hot water, let it be for 60 minutes and it's going to convert without a problem. You are much more likely to get a false negative iodine test reading than run into starch conversion problems.

If you trust those calculators that predict first running SG, then why not test for conversion with a refractometer? If the predicted sugar is in solution, why not assume conversion is done. Or at least, done enough ;-)

Honestly an iodine test is one of those steps you can eliminate without much worry. Adding well-crushed modern brewing malt to hot water, let it be for 60 minutes and it's going to convert without a problem. You are much more likely to get a false negative iodine test reading than run into starch conversion problems.

Unless you're using adjuncts. And even then, do a 90 minute mash and you should be GTG.

Back