Specialty IPA: Red IPA India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew day has come and gone. Efficieny sucked and only managed 1.070 og......and as im typing this I remembered the 8oz of sugar i was supposed to add to the boil....oops lol! Ok that makes up for some of, still would be short i think but not the 9 points I am now. Think I'll boil the sugar in some water, cool and add it to fermenter. Id like to get something close to 8% on tap. Other than that brew day went well.

Anyone add honey to this recipe?
Yes, several times. In fact, I'm brewing it again this weekend with honey. Added 1 cup of wildflower honey with 15 mins to go in the boil. Not really sure what it added, but I liked the batch I made with honey better than w/o. Of course, there are like 999 other things I could have done differently from batch to batch that changed the flavor, so....grain of salt? :)

@Kyle
I want to brew this next. Apparently different browsers page differently. Your post is on page 11 for me so I'm not sure about a recipe on page 19. Do you know which post number the recipe you used was? I'm planning to go with post #366 but using Midnight wheat in place of black patent.

Yup it was from post 366. Realized that the page number would probably vary after I posted but forgot to edit

Little update, I did add the 8oz sugar to the fermenter, bringing my OG up to 1.073. Pitched 2 packs of MJ 044 West Coast Ale yeast. After 2 weeks I took an FG reading, it was only 1.020. Kind of disappointed, definitely wanted it drier and more in the west coast style, may still end up being a good beer though, we will see. Dry hopping now and will keg in 4-5 days. Fermented at 67f for the 2 weeks.

I brewed this January 26. Bottled it February 12. I used Chocolate Wheat (400L) as that was the only black wheat at the LHBS. The beer is tasting very good right now, end of March. It has good foam with nice lacing. I pretty much followed the hop schedule with the exception of using a little Chinook for bittering as I did not have quite enough Simcoe. As has been said before this reminds me of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

Making this one today for the first time!

It was number 73 on The HomeBrewTalk Top 100 Recipes

:cask:
Update:
I adjusted this recipe to hit 7gal net. I also had to sub Briess 80L because my LHBS didn't have the 90L that this recipe calls for. Sort of hit my numbers on brew day and after fermentation! :ban:

Here is a what the wort looked like after draining the mash into the brew kettle. To my eye it does have a bit of a red color to it, under the right kind of light.

IRA wort on brew day.jpg

O.G. came in a little high at 1.065, which is fine by me (my brewhouse efficiency runs in the high 70% range). I hit my 7gal net volume.

I used Imperial Flagship to ferment (which is the sub for Wyeast 1056 American Ale) and it was down to 1.011 after 10 days. I was checking the S.G. every 7 - 10 days and the samples I was looking at led me to believe this was starting to look more like an Amber than a Red, but I didn't care cuz the flavor and aroma were really good!
By the time I finally got around to kegging it (after 5 weeks in the primary) it was down to 1.008 F.G. a whopping 7.5% ABV!!! Holy $crap that's a strong one indeed! :bott:

I kegged this up yesterday... but had to sneak a sample of it today. Under the right kind of light it does look a little Red to my eye.

IRA first pour.jpg

As I was sipping on this first glass outside it suddenly occurred to me that I was seeing red again! As I look down into the glass I can see red reflecting off the curvature of the glass and through the beer to the bottom of the glass as well.

IRA in the glass.jpg

This beer is really trippy dude! o_O :drunk: :inbottle::cask: :tank:

Brewed this January 26. Finishing the last bottle tonight. Still very good. The malt character has made it stand up well over time, unlike some IPAs. Thanks @TimBrewz for a great recipe. I'll make this again soon.

20190627_161410[1].jpg
Update:
Part of this 7gal batch, that I made back in April, I split off and put in one of those old Party Pigs. I still have some and continue to use them (at some point i will replace them with 2.5gal Corny kegs...) Now the 5gal Corny keg has been dead for a while now, but I let the Party Pig naturally carbonate and condition for over a month before tapping it. How does the color look? Tastes fantastic for a 7.5% ABV ( ;

Hey all!

This beer is officially on tap for the holiday season at Cedar Crest Brewing in Redding and Red Bluff California brew pubs! Ask for Enchanter IRA or try any of our other delicious beers!

Cheers!
Tim
IMG_8123.JPG

Last edited:
Going to give the original recipe a crack as best I can.
Cant source the 40&80L, so subbed for Caramunich II and Pale Crystal (Bairds)
Also couldnt find Simcoe, so swapping that for Mosiac (Wondering now if I should of gone for Falconers Flight...)

Anywhosie, cheers Tim, appreciate you putting up your recipe like this, looking forward to tasting it :)

This could be fun! If the next guy takes a picture of HIS IRA in front of my post (where I have a glass of MY IRA in front @InspectorJon's post, who took a picture of HIS glass of IRA in front of @TimBrewz GLASS OF IRA!)

20200127_200930.jpg

LOL, could end up being one of those cool pictures after a dozen people follow along with pics of THEIR IRA's in front of the last HBT member who posts up a pic of their glass of IRA in front of the last... well you get the idea right?!
( =

Last edited:
This could be fun! If the next guy takes a picture holding his glass of IRA in front of my post (where I am holding a glass of my glass of IRA in front Inspector Jon's post, who took a picture of HIS glass of IRA inView attachment 664050 front of TimBrewz GLASS OF IRA! )

LOL, could end up being one of those cool pictures after a dozen people follow along with pics of THEIR IRA's in front of the last HBT member who posts up a pic of their IRA in front of the last... well you get the idea right?!
( =

I love it!

Hey Guys, Finally got caught up on 12 pages and like 8 years of red ipa talk on this thread! What's 1 more year!?

Was planning on brewing this this weekend and was hoping to try and get a nice bright ruby red color out of this. I've noticed in many of the pictures, this recipe varies in color quite a bit, but overall, usually produces more of a darker red/brown. Any advice on the SRM for a brighter/lighter red?

Hey Guys, Finally got caught up on 12 pages and like 8 years of red ipa talk on this thread! What's 1 more year!?

Was planning on brewing this this weekend and was hoping to try and get a nice bright ruby red color out of this. I've noticed in many of the pictures, this recipe varies in color quite a bit, but overall, usually produces more of a darker red/brown. Any advice on the SRM for a brighter/lighter red?
I find that chocolate malt works better for me for that nice ruby shine. If I remember right I use 6 oz for a 10.5 gallon batch
20200527_144311.jpg

I find that chocolate malt works better for me for that nice ruby shine. If I remember right I use 6 oz for a 10.5 gallon batch
View attachment 717294

Thanks for the insight and pic. Color looks spot on! I noticed throughout the years the OP went to midnight wheat, but from what I interpreted, it's only 1 oz for 6 gal. You sure it was 6oz you used?

Thanks for the insight and pic. Color looks spot on! I noticed throughout the years the OP went to midnight wheat, but from what I interpreted, it's only 1 oz for 6 gal. You sure it was 6oz you used?
Here's the grist I have for my take on the recipe. I may very well have used 4 oz though I like to tweak my recipes. I actually won a local competition with this one. For whatever reason I've never been able to get a nice ruby red with midnight wheat or black malt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210205-152435.jpg
    Screenshot_20210205-152435.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 26
Made another batch of this recipe recently using the second version with less Crystal grains. Its in the keg with dry hops this week and I had to pull a sample to check on it of course! Really good aroma again and I am enjoying it even though it is technically still a green beer. (Green meaning fresh obviously) lol. Mashing at lower Temps and reducing the Crystal grains is a definite improvement, well done @TimBrewz !

I pushed the IBU's to around 80 in this batch and I believe it can hold up to more. A friend of mine is going to brew this recipe soon and is not afraid to unleash a hop assault so we're bumping up the IBU's to 100 for his batch!
( ;
20210211_150516.jpg

Okay, just reporting back on my attempt at this. I deviated a bit, but kept to the overall framework. I went with 3.1% of 80L and 45L Crystal and .4% of midnight wheat, estimated color was 13.5 EBC on Grainfather. I also did mine at 7% ABV, 60IBU's, and fermented w/ Lutra. It was 1 week grain to glass so I could get it shipped out to my beer group for the Mars rover landing. I also completely changed the hops, more details and such on our instagram: Login • Instagram

Overall, a really enjoyable beer, and I was super happy with the color, clarity, and overall taste. Would like to try this again and keep with the full original recipe, especially the hops and yeast. Although mine came out super smooth and clean, I would have liked to have seen a bit more bite from the hops, and complexity from the yeast. It was almost too clean, more like a lager and less like an IPA, but think that was due to the crazy fast Lutra and a shorter DH schedule. Anyway, thanks @TimBrewz for the great recipe! It was exactly what I needed!

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.58.25 AM.png

Nice way to spend a spring day. This version of IRA finished at 1.018, not sure why but it’s tasty and looks good too. It’s not the recipe as it’s come out right on the numbers in the past
F8CD4C84-8C6C-45A1-B84D-BEC5A0B3B036.jpeg

Back