Need advise on unusual situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
A buddy of mine heard I was homebrewing and brought me a gallon fermenter full of apple wine that has been sitting on a shelf in a cabinet for a year. The airlock dried out long ago. We pulled it and smelled of the wine and is seem to smell ok but strong. I thought about just doing a quick cold crash and bottling it in some of my beer bottles and hoping for the best. There's probably an inch and a half of sediment in the bottom of the jug. Any advise greatly appreciated. I've been doing some beer brewing but have not started learning about wine yet. I tried a search but couldn't find anything this unique. Is it worth trying to save??? :eek: Thanks...

I don't know what advice you are looking for, but if it doesn't smell or taste like vinegar, or anything else bad then it's probably fine. Actually at a year it's probably awesome.

It's likely oxidized even if your buddy did add K-meta if the airlock's been dry for who knows how long. That being said, it won't hurt to bottle it now. Even if it has oxidized you can always use it for cooking and all you're going to lose is a little time and 8-10 12-oz bottles.

I just needed to know whether is was worth trying to save basically. I'll just bottle and hope for the best, thanks.

Taste it (and take a gravity reading while your at it). If it tastes ok and gravity is near 1.0 then why wouldn't you bottle it? If it tastes bad and gravity is way above 1, then it's a crapshoot.

It's likely oxidized even if your buddy did add K-meta if the airlock's been dry for who knows how long. That being said, it won't hurt to bottle it now. Even if it has oxidized you can always use it for cooking and all you're going to lose is a little time and 8-10 12-oz bottles.

Oxydized is necessarily a BAD thing. I am rigt now drinking a 2 year old bottle of still apfelwien that I "discovered" in an unlabeled mr bee pet bottle. There is a slight oxydation to it, BUT it is actually not bad, all it does is at a note of raisin or fig to it...which works out nicely with the mellowed apple flavor....

My only concern wit the poster's issue would be that it was turned to vinegar because of aecetobactor...or was soured...like I said I would apply the sniff test, then take a sip and see...if it was fine then bottle. if it was infected, then discard...if it was turned to vinegar, and was a nice vinegar..then bottle that in fancy bottles and sell it or give it as gifts. :D

Latest posts

Back